Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need a plastic cleaner/scratch remover.

I heard Novus is good, but where on earth can I buy this instead of online?

Any other stuff I could use thats great which I can buy at a store and not online?

I would buy it online, but I need it no later than friday.

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
If The interior of your headlight is dirty or messed up, you need to bake the light, pop it open and clean it, then re-seal it.

If it is just the exterior, what i do is (For plastic, oxidized, yellow w/e fucked up bad lights) is wet sand the light itself with 1500 or 2000 grit, then buff the whole light out with a PorterCable Random Orbit Buffer, a Yellow compounding pad and Autoglym Fine Abrasive Compound.

I cannot tell how many SC300, Supra, Rx7 etc headlights i have restored to 95% new using that combination.

If it was 2 weeks ago i could have helped you as i was in norcal for vacation, but i am back in so cal.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bmw_Neo_Type said:
If The interior of your headlight is dirty or messed up, you need to bake the light, pop it open and clean it, then re-seal it.

If it is just the exterior, what i do is (For plastic, oxidized, yellow w/e fucked up bad lights) is wet sand the light itself with 1500 or 2000 grit, then buff the whole light out with a PorterCable Random Orbit Buffer, a Yellow compounding pad and Autoglym Fine Abrasive Compound.

I cannot tell how many SC300, Supra, Rx7 etc headlights i have restored to 95% new using that combination.

If it was 2 weeks ago i could have helped you as i was in norcal for vacation, but i am back in so cal.

I'll be baking them tomorrow since the interior is bad. Autoglym Fine Abrasive Compound can be bought at any auto store?

Thanks for the info!

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
supra_onna95 said:
I'll be baking them tomorrow since the interior is bad. Autoglym Fine Abrasive Compound can be bought at any auto store?

Thanks for the info!
Thats the hard part :ugh2: Its more of a speciality product, Autoglym is the detailing product lineup of jag and aston blah blah, and theres a store in so cal that sells it. But i can look around and see if there are places in Nor cal that sell it.

If not you can try a meguiars compound like 80 or 83? (not too familiar with them)

I recommend the SONUS SFX-1 pad from www.autopia-carcare.com to use with the Porter cable or if you have a good pad that will work too.

However, i do know the guys at the detail store here, and i talked to them. They do ship the stuff and do have a website i believe.

·
Banned
397 Posts
supra_onna95 said:
I know I need a plastic cleaner/scratch remover.

I heard Novus is good, but where on earth can I buy this instead of online?

Any other stuff I could use thats great which I can buy at a store and not online?

I would buy it online, but I need it no later than friday.
I throughly cleaned the inside of my headlight, then polished them with Novus. They have several different bottles going from rough grit to finer and you use them in sequence. I had very good results.

The only place I know you can buy it is it some plastic places that sell and cut plexiglass, or online. Use a cloth to polish.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
supra_onna95 said:

Thanks for the info!
:rofl: be careful when u bakin them girl...
you DON'T wanna know what I did to my original stock headlights BEFORE i had to replace them with glass.... :rofl: :rofl:

·
rockin' the JDM duct tape
521 Posts
remove racks from oven
pre-heat to 350
remove metal clips, bulbs, wiring, etc from headlights
turn the oven off
insert rack
put the headlight in for about 10 minutes
*carefully* pry lense off headlight assembly
if it doesn't come off, let it warm up some more.

·
521 Posts
have you done it with a heat gun? were you able to heat it thoroughly enough?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I only heated my oven up to 190-200 degrees and it was enough to soften the sealant...not to say you shouldn't do it at 350. But if you feel safer with a lower temp, it will work fine.

·
521 Posts
^^^ good advice. i would do it with the lowest temperature that is hot enough to soften the sealant.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts