Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question about ARP studs

I have been trying to tighten the ARP studs that I have, but can't seem to find the right socket. After alot of searching I went to sears and purchased a 14 mm 12 pt deep well socket, but the damn thing won't fit between the crevices on the head. I can't even get it on half of the bolts. Can someone help me out here and give me some pointers on this?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grind really? That sucks. I do not have a grinder. Would someone like to sell me a socket?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Try removing the cams. I didn't have much difficulty installing the studs.

3,796 Posts
No. They are 12pt 14mm and I bought a craftsman 12pt deepwell socket and it worked fine. It barely fit but it worked. Just make sure you use the arp grease around the sides of the socket so there is less friction between that surface and the head...this will ensure a more consistent torque value to each stud.

·
re-born
1,584 Posts
Silver88Turbo said:
No. They are 12pt 14mm and I bought a craftsman 12pt deepwell socket and it worked fine. It barely fit but it worked. Just make sure you use the arp grease around the sides of the socket so there is less friction between that surface and the head...this will ensure a more consistent torque value to each stud.
no... they are 1/2 inch 12pt

14mm is close but 1/2 inch is the proper socket to use

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I used a 14mm 3/8 drive ground down slightly. I felt a 9/16 fit sloppy and I didn't want to put putting 85 pounds of torque on a fasterner without a tight fitting socket.

FYI, a 1/2 drive socket will not fit into the head casting.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
i had the same problem...there is ap erfect socket that fits in there fine... sabolt is the one who told me the exact one...if you PM him im sure he will tell you too! its very picky! haha i had the exact same issue....

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
13mm is close but who wants to tighten head studs with out the right tool

1/2 deep 3/8 drive 2.5 inch long to fit tourqe wrench used a step down and clears cams in place

If ya have to grind it it ant right ....... :rolleyes:

.........Striped ARP head studs sounds like fun......

:D

·
SUPRAF0RUMS TROLL
1,610 Posts
ive tried stripping them... doesnt work... i love grinding sockets to fit... sparks flying everywhere... lighting my bench on fire with the sparks... good times good times

·
re-born
1,584 Posts
Jason T said:
13mm is close but who wants to tighten head studs with out the right tool

1/2 deep 3/8 drive 2.5 inch long to fit tourqe wrench used a step down and clears cams in place

If ya have to grind it it ant right ....... :rolleyes:

.........Striped ARP head studs sounds like fun......

:D
exactly
I would be a bit nervous to use a METRIC socket on a Standerd Head bolt

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I'm going to go out.. and put a standard socket on the head of these studs I've got to see whats up.

I'll tell you now, I put 85 pounds of torque thru a slightly ground down 14mm socket. I bought an S&K 9/16, 1/2 drive deep well that didn't fit. Hence hte need to grind down the 14mm.
I'll check it out later tonight if i think about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts