Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have been searching and havent found answers to these. Can you guys help me out? And im sure this will help future supra owners with the same problems.

1. How do you actually know if the seal is blown by looking at it after everything is taken apart and you see the seal?

2. The hardest part of this procedure is actually not the crank bold. it is the old seal itself. What methods did you guys use to remove the old seal?

·
Garage Queen Club
2,825 Posts
1. Oily residue or a "stream" exiting the bottom of the seal, possibly a puddle in front of the bottom of the seal.

2. Multiple methods. Drill tiny holes all around, insert a shap tool and begin pulling/prying at it. Shop manual has another methold of slicing it in certain angles. Others may have more ideas, try reading/searching the FMS sticky thread.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Saleen00_227 said:
Hey guys. I have been searching and havent found answers to these. Can you guys help me out? And im sure this will help future supra owners with the same problems.

1. How do you actually know if the seal is blown by looking at it after everything is taken apart and you see the seal?
Look for oil around the seal/timing belt. Mine blew but from looking at the seal I couldn't tell it was blown. Looked exactly the same as the new one I put in.

Saleen00_227 said:
2. The hardest part of this procedure is actually not the crank bold. it is the old seal itself. What methods did you guys use to remove the old seal?
Take a flat head screwdriver and pound any side of the old seal until it's dented. This should push out the other side of the seal enough to pull it out. Worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
To remove seal I drilled two small holes on either side of the seal. I got two 1 1/2 in sheet metal screws and flattened the point off of them. I screwed the screws in and once they bottomed out agains the oil pump gear it pushed the seal out. Again: it is important to take the sharp edge off your screws so that you will not mark the gear!

·
Banned
397 Posts
Saleen00_227 said:

When I took my seal out the little center section was sitting on the crank. To remove the old seal, screw a tiny screw into it and pull it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts