Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, trying to finish up my rebuild now, and I need to know what piston rings to go with, so far I am considering the TOTAL SEAL rings because my local auto store recommends them and my Machine shop recommends them, but I was wondering what you guys would recommend and what are your opinions about the TOTAL SEAL rings? aight peace and thanks :chicken:

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
I wouldn't use them. If your ring gaps are properly positioned (conventional rings) your biggest worry, when it comes to blowby, would be seating them properly. They may work better but the risk of QC (quality control) and added parts (K.I.S.S. theory) outweigh the benefits IMHO.

BTW, what is written on the lower half of your door in your sig pic?

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boostedstr8six said:
I wouldn't use them. If your ring gaps are properly positioned (conventional rings) your biggest worry, when it comes to blowby, would be seating them properly. They may work better but the risk of QC (quality control) and added parts (K.I.S.S. theory) outweigh the benefits IMHO.

BTW, what is written on the lower half of your door in your sig pic?
It says HOLLA, my car was dusty and a some of the guys around here wrote it on my door before the pic was taken... so why don't ya recommend the Total Seals? aight peace

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
because i don't know of any MKIII owners who have ever gotten them to properly seal. everyone that has tried 'em ended up w/HUGE ammounts of blowby. if you do try 'em be sure to EXACTLY follow the recommended honing process....

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
drjonez said:
because i don't know of any MKIII owners who have ever gotten them to properly seal. everyone that has tried 'em ended up w/HUGE ammounts of blowby. if you do try 'em be sure to EXACTLY follow the recommended honing process....
I see... time to look for another brand of rings then... aight peace

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Did you read the rest of my reply? lol....I guess that didn't provide a good explanation of my opinion. Basically, I think they are a gimmick, plain and simple. Get a set of rings that have: Chrome-moly top ring, cast iron middle ring, and set up your oil rings correctly. Then put your engine back together, start it, let it warm up(with dino oil) cruise out to the freeway, mash it from 1800rpm to 4k on lowest boost(4th gear) a few times, and let it compression brake down to at least 2k each time (pulls oil into the cylinder) then change your oil and filter. Try to keep this under 20 miles. Rings are seated, follow suggested oil type and change intervals after. (Read: Search "break in" ) HTH

Car looks good man. Wish I could say the same about mine.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boostedstr8six said:
Did you read the rest of my reply? lol....I guess that didn't provide a good explanation of my opinion. Basically, I think they are a gimmick, plain and simple. Get a set of rings that have: Chrome-moly top ring, cast iron middle ring, and set up your oil rings correctly. Then put your engine back together, start it, let it warm up(with dino oil) cruise out to the freeway, mash it from 1800rpm to 4k on lowest boost(4th gear) a few times, and let it compression brake down to at least 2k each time (pulls oil into the cylinder) then change your oil and filter. Try to keep this under 20 miles. Rings are seated, follow suggested oil type and change intervals after. (Read: Search "break in" ) HTH

Car looks good man. Wish I could say the same about mine.
Coo, so what rings are ya using? aight peace

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bizumpps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts