Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay real simple. I know that the 86.5-88 LOOKS different then the 89+ but are the plugs and holes different as well?

To sum it up, will 86-88 molding fit on an 89+?

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
the 89+ mouldings fit 98% bolt-on on pre89. I did the conversion so I'll explain.
The moudling can fit no problem if you stay with the 87-88 tailights. It's pretty hard to change the moulding on the center section though like a70 said above.

ALL the bolt are at the same places, except 2. The moulding that goes around the rear corner on each side, the 89+ has one more bolt right in the middle of the curve. So either you drill a hole in the body to fit the bolt or you remove the bolt from the mouldings. What I did is remove the bolt and glue this part with black urethane on the body so it hold well around that place. Excellent result.

Thats about it. What I like about the 89+ mouldings is no more metal on the back side an some good weight saving at the same time.:)

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
I just got my set of +'89 mouldings too. I was wondering, how do you take off the pre '89 moulding...??? Do I just rip it off...???

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Unless you want to keep them(which I doubt)...just rip them off. Just remove the bolt on the rear sections and the screws in the wheels wells, or you will have a hard time to remove them. lol but I think you figured that out.;)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. That's Exactly what i needed. I'm sure that this info will come in use for others as well.

·
Mmmmm Tub girl.....
406 Posts
Is there somewhere you can order the conversion kit, or are wreckers/donor cars the best bet?

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
On some of the 87-88 moldings there are some bolts that go through the panel, near the ends. I think you need a 10mm wrench to remove them. If you just rip them off you can damage the doors and the front fenders are very thin and flimsy. Take a stiff putty knife or a wide screwdriver and pry them off clip by clip.

·
Registered
409 Posts
FredTurbo said:
Unless you want to keep them(which I doubt)...just rip them off. Just remove the bolt on the rear sections and the screws in the wheels wells, or you will have a hard time to remove them. lol but I think you figured that out.;)
so does this mean the interior door panels need to come off to change the moldings?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts