Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was apparently manufactured on 02/89 according to the stamp on the door. Does this mean that my car is an early 89, and when was the cut off month for early Vs late 89s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, The ecu is the same, However late 89s have a specific Wiring harness:

-1986.5-Early 1989- Yellow Plug Engine And Body Harness
-Late 1989-1992- Grey Plug Engine And Body Harness
-Late 1989- Specific Engine Harness, Not The Same As 1991-1992 Grey Plugs
As per here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?153102-Your-1JZ-GTE-And-2JZ-GTE-Swap-Guide-For-Dummies

Is there anyway besides the harness to know where my car falls under? I'm sure some how the door stamp periods would mean something.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes, The ecu is the same, However late 89s have a specific Wiring harness:

-1986.5-Early 1989- Yellow Plug Engine And Body Harness
-Late 1989-1992- Grey Plug Engine And Body Harness
-Late 1989- Specific Engine Harness, Not The Same As 1991-1992 Grey Plugs
As per here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?153102-Your-1JZ-GTE-And-2JZ-GTE-Swap-Guide-For-Dummies

Is there anyway besides the harness to know where my car falls under? I'm sure some how the door stamp periods would mean something.
I really don't think you can. My 89 was built in August of 88. But it still had late 89 style pin count. It's unpredictable. I had a thread on this when installing the afc and everyone was telling me to check the pin count. Easiest was to check the pin count on the plugs. Best way to know for sure. I think the thread was titled "early or late 89" check it out in the search

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really don't think you can. My 89 was built in August of 88. But it still had late 89 style pin count. It's unpredictable. I had a thread on this when installing the afc and everyone was telling me to check the pin count. Easiest was to check the pin count on the plugs. Best way to know for sure. I think the thread was titled "early or late 89" check it out in the search
Well it looks like my hunt just got a lot harder, Thanks for the info mate. On to the search of the specific car for my needs. Looking like I will need an "late" 89 Turbo harness, and engine. Fun times ahead.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if my car is a 89 grey plug, I could take the harness/ecu out of any 89-91 (89 with a grey plug)? For the 7mge/auto to 7mgte/m swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, So this has taken a slightly different route. About a few months ago I bought a torn-apart 7mgte off a guy, Because the head on my 7mge cracked. I got a heap of parts: pretty much everything from the turbo, pistons, and block(All disassembled mind you). In these parts, Seems to be my savior. A beautiful, Unmolested, Grey-plug harness. According to the diagram you posted, It seems to be the harness for a turbo 7m. Can you give me anymore info on the harnesses for 89+, So I can see if it is a auto, or manual harness.

Pic's of what i saw that looked like your diagram:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hopefully someone can shed light on this. I don't know the difference. I just know that on the Ecu box itself it says manual for mine. I don't think the pin count is different. Just the Ecu itself. Hopefully someone can clarify

1 - 11 of 11 Posts