Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks if you know the answer and can help me out. I'm going to need it to shut some idiot up on another forum who's going to claim that the $50k pricetag on the MkIV (which is only the price the last model years cost... I'm pretty sure the 93.5 came in much lower and that's why this thread exists) is why it was a high quality car, as opposed to it being a Toyota.

See Toyota and Honda are tier one Japanese brands. Nissan's coming close to tier one. Mitsu and Subaru are further behind with their lesser build quality and quality control issues.

But he's an Evo8 owner and amidst all the problems that car has, he's blind to the fact that Mitsu is a lower-tier Japanese brand.

To him it's acceptable to have issues with a brand new $30k car such as a lack of clearcoat causing the paint to stain very easily and fade quickly, rust already on body beams due to poorly done rust protection at the factory, and... I could go on for too long... simply because they give it AWD and a turbo.

Somehow he thinks it's acceptable to trade basic new car expectations for more performance, as opposed to normal human beings which would consider it acceptable to trade things such as luxury features for performance (compare for example an Acura TL with an Evo8/STi - similar price tag but complete opposites - one a luxury FWD sedan, the others pure performance AWD turbo machines).

No matter what new car is being discussed the owner should NEVER deal with some of the things Evo8 owners are dealing with, and certainly should not EXPECT such things.

Anyway, thanks. =)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's what I thought too. Was curious if anyone still had their Maroni or remembered the exact price (at least to the nearest thousand).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cause when it first came out toyota was messing around with the prices but after 96 the price went down so that it could be more affordable or something like that

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
the window sticker for my 95 tt auto is 49,502.00... thats with premium stereo, leather interior and rear spoiler;) jay

·
Under Construction
761 Posts
In 1997 and 1998 the dealers couldn't give supras away. So they dropped the price by $10,000. You can thank the LT1 camaro for killing the Japanese sports car market.

·
Old School
4,182 Posts
BXR SUPRA said:
In 1997 and 1998 the dealers couldn't give supras away. So they dropped the price by $10,000. You can thank the LT1 camaro for killing the Japanese sports car market.
SUV's and people unwilling to shell out $40~$50k for a Toyota, along with the introduction of the C5 in 1997 killed the Supra.

The LT1 Camaro wasn't a player, who was cross shopping Camaros and high end twin turbo Japanese cars?

What if Toyota had stuck a Lexus badge on it? Hmmm....

·
Under Construction
761 Posts
Supra was already dead in 1996-1997. Check out Camaro sales in 93-97. The LT1 equiped camaro and vette(Later with LT4) did put a hurting on the japanese sports car market.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the Toyota Print out for my car and the price of my '93.5 TT Targa with premium stereo, leather, and spoiler was as follows:

Base Model Retail: 39,900 Dealer: 32718
Leather Trim Package: 1100 Dealer: 880
Premium Stereo: 760 Dealer: 570
Total Accessories: 1860 Dealer: 1450 Total: 1860
Total: 34168 41760

So all in all total Price was $41,760

·
Old School
4,182 Posts
BXR SUPRA said:
Supra was already dead in 1996-1997. Check out Camaro sales in 93-97. The LT1 equiped camaro and vette(Later with LT4) did put a hurting on the japanese sports car market.
Nonsense. Mustangs sold at least as well, if not better than the F-bodies. Why isn't the 'stang responsible for the Supras demise?

People were not interested in a $45k+ turbocharged car from Japan with a plebian nameplate.

The Corvette took sales away, but the Camaro didn't.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
I don't really know if either had that big of an impact.....Think about it, Camaro owners and Supra owners at the time they were new were in completely different situations financially. The Corvette may have had more of a part to do with it. I think the biggest factor was that people had a hard time spending around 50k for a Toyota.....I agree that maybe if it was a Lexus it would have fared a little better......again, just my opinion

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BXR SUPRA said:
You don't know shit. I was shopping for a car in 1994 and 1995 and the value of the dollar was so weak against the yen (very few yen per dollar). Every japanese car was super expensive compared to other cars. There was no way the japanese companies could compete with a domestic brand. Japanese companies just had keep double digit price increases while the dollar kept getting weaker and weaker.

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,196 Posts
I was told by a toyota sales manager that the average person that buys a Supra is a 30-40 old year professional male whom probably has no kids. In the mid to late 90s, "sales demographics" showed that he wanted a $40k-50k sport utility vehicle. I don't think the vette helped either. Stock for stock the vette is probably more car. But who cares about stock cars?

·
Registered
857 Posts
JRock said:
To him it's acceptable to have issues with a brand new $30k car such as a lack of clearcoat causing the paint to stain very easily and fade quickly, rust already on body beams due to poorly done rust protection at the factory, and... I could go on for too long... simply because they give it AWD and a turbo.

Somehow he thinks it's acceptable to trade basic new car expectations for more performance, as opposed to normal human beings which would consider it acceptable to trade things such as luxury features for performance (compare for example an Acura TL with an Evo8/STi - similar price tag but complete opposites - one a luxury FWD sedan, the others pure performance AWD turbo machines).

No matter what new car is being discussed the owner should NEVER deal with some of the things Evo8 owners are dealing with, and certainly should not EXPECT such things.

Anyway, thanks. =)
Are you causing trouble on another car messageboard? I remember your post telling Supra owners what their car was worth.

What sort of problems are you talking about with the Evo8?
-Brian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with IGGY, I was told by Toyota Reps that the Supra phased out due to the SUV. Think about it, every one was buying up SUV's back then,a nd they still are.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Re: Re: Quick question - What was MSRP on a '93.5 MkIV Supra TT?

MoogieBoogie said:
Are you causing trouble on another car messageboard? I remember your post telling Supra owners what their car was worth.

-Brian.
I remember that.
I believe we indirectly answered this question then.
My sticker was ~ $43,400 for a '94 auto TT.
Prices went up in '95-'96 and then dropped $10K.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow, I have no idea they were so much. I thought they had reached up to the high $40k's but had no idea they hit $50k....I feel better having mine after seeing that window sticker

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.