Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some input on turbos. I have a 89 Supra Turbo (auto :( ). I was wondering if anyone had some input on what turbo to use? Should I just clip mine for a T-04 compressor? Or should I do an just a whole aftermarket turbo? I want something that spools decently fast, but puts out enough power. Spool range around 3.5 - 4000 RPMs. Let me know what you think. I also have AOL IM, you can contact me on thjere as well, s/n is d3phtonex. Thanks for your input in advance.

G

·
More info would help? What HP numbers are you looking for? Do you want plug n play, or do you not mind custom fabrication??

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
It's going to depend a lot on your goals. 400rwhp is not out of the question on an upgraded ct-26, and you could probably pull a low 12/ high 11 second pass with that. If you want to go bigger, then it all becomes a matter of how much power, how much money, and what type of driving you want to do

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My goal for right now is around 400RWHP. I want to stick to mostly bolt-on turbo kits. Money really isn't a factor right now. I am just looking for something that will give me good power, but spools decently fast as well like I said before. It's going to be mainly a daily driver in the spring/summer times, But I also plan on running in the 1/4 and what not. I want all go, and some show. ( I.e rims and bomex kit possibly). The company names really don't matter, I mean I want to try for quailty turbos! Thanks for the input :)

G

·
dephtone said:
My goal for right now is around 400RWHP. I want to stick to mostly bolt-on turbo kits. Money really isn't a factor right now. I am just looking for something that will give me good power, but spools decently fast as well like I said before. It's going to be mainly a daily driver in the spring/summer times, But I also plan on running in the 1/4 and what not. I want all go, and some show. ( I.e rims and bomex kit possibly). The company names really don't matter, I mean I want to try for quailty turbos! Thanks for the input :)
For 400ish, I would say get a CT26 upgraded to a 60-1 compressor and get the exhaust wheel clipped 10 degrees and youll be mint.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
alphaoenz said:
For 400ish, I would say get a CT26 upgraded to a 60-1 compressor and get the exhaust wheel clipped 10 degrees and youll be mint.
Right, BUT, you are definitely leaving out supporting mods for 400hp.

1st, lets not forget that the 60-1 upgrade puts a lot of stress on the ct26 housing, but is VERY cost effective at only 450$ from Perfromance Techniques. HOWEVER, a more reliable/longer lasting and expensive turbo would be a real T04E (which would need custom oil/coolant lines I think).

You would then need intercooler, intercooler pipes, AFPR, V8 LEXUS AFM or VPC or MAP ECU or standalone engine management (ie: new AEM set-up), 550cc (or more) injectors, intake, full 3+inch exhaust, S-AFC or S-AFR or some kind of air/fuel tuning device, boost controller set around 18-22+psi, and some good guages for EGT/BOOST/AIR/FUEL/maybe more. Then you need to DYNO tune with a pro and with a wideband 02 sensor/meter until you get everything tuned right. All of this = potential for reliable 400+hp.

Good luck. Ask questions and learn and apply and you'll be fine. Best regards.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a long process, it won't be in one wholeshot, And I think the first thing I am going to do is do bottom end first, like Rods, pistons, rings, etc. so I don't end up blowing something in the long run. I definatly need to research the Lexus AMF. I have heard good things about them. Also if anyone is in Columbus Ohio or area, and has a MK3 supra. Lemme know. just to shoot the stuff and find out some other stuff I was wanting to know. Thanks for all the replies so far!

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
dephtone said:
I think the first thing I am going to do is do bottom end first, like Rods, pistons, rings, etc. so I don't end up blowing something in the long run.
Good idea about the bottom end but it isn't really necessary for 400hp. The only thing that you need to do that is considered bottome end is Metal Head Gasket (<---which I forgot to mention above). You need to get the cyclinder head/block head machined and install a metal head gasket and torque it don really well, 75ftlbs to 95 ft lbs of torque.

I definatly need to research the Lexus AMF. I have heard good things about them.
There is a lot of info and many "angles" that you can take with the lex afm.

Here is a good point of knowledge to start with:
Lex AFM info.

*Note about ct26 (stock turbo) upgrade: There will be a thread starting soon by a member by the name of Shawndude where members will be trying to decide if the 50trim upgrade will make the same power as the 60-1 upgrade more efficiently and through a much wider power-band (low end crazy fast spooling and more efficient top end flow to redline). "Keep an eye out" for it.

For now:Info on ct26 upgrades.

Best regards.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome site! Thanks again, full of information! Seems like a good upgrade, Will check out for that, Thanks. Back to the Real T-04 Turbo. Is the t-04 a Direct Bolt on? Lemme know! Thanks. also who makes the T-04?

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
dephtone said:
Awesome site! Thanks again, full of information! Seems like a good upgrade, Will check out for that, Thanks. Back to the Real T-04 Turbo. Is the t-04 a Direct Bolt on? Lemme know! Thanks. also who makes the T-04?
Yes, direct bolt on but I think that you need custom oil/coolant lines. Suprasport and HKS make them and I think suprasport sells the custom lines in a kit.

HKS/SUPRASPORT TO4.

SUPRASPORT TO4 Oil line kit.

Best regards.

·
Registered
109 Posts
to use a t-04 you need some added oil and possibly coolant lines if the turbo has coolant flowing through it. also you will have to do some work on your manifold and downpipe. i have the hks manifold but you can get a flange adapter for a t-04 to go on the stock turbo manifold. the stocker can flow over 400rwhp pretty easy and sits up higher with a flange adapter. if you have removed your char coal can then turbo is really cool looking. the supporting mods that were listed before are extremely important to get where you want and i strongly recommend a built motor for more reliability and if you want to go farther one day. i had my engine cryoed and my rods and crank shot-peened. do everything you can afford to prevent engine failure. also remember that with the vpc and gcc set-up you can only do 550cc injectors so the new map-ecu is the way to go. good luck man. by the way my brother lives in springfield, about a half hour away.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great input. Like I said it is a work in progress, engine is pulled and is ready for whatever mayb come of if. As far as the MHG. I heard that that many run of the mill machining shops won't do. I guess the block and head have to be near perfect, no spots or anything. I am planning on getting most of my stuff from Passen Motorports here in Columbus, for those of you that live around here, I am sure you know of it. Hopefully they can help me with that, cause I have read many of places that the MKIII stock HG's aren't the greatest. Probably going to do HKS 1.2mm HG. I want to try and do all one brand name. I mean a frankenstien car would be alright, I just want atleast 90% of the car one brand. Thanks Again :D

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
It is a T3/T4 not Full T4 from suprasport.com. Trent had some major problems with that turbo. It is very hard to find a Full TO4E that will bolt straight up. Even if bolt pattern was there I would think the compressor housing would hit manifold. Anyways, if you do decide to go Full TO4E check out Turbo Joel in Phoenix, Arizona(his information is on www.jblmk3.com). He will sell brand new garret turbos from $450 to $600 each. Then you have to get an adaptor such as MAXX adaptor to bolt the turbo up and a wastgate. For the wastegate most people recomend the Tial 38mm and then you have to get a custom downpipe(also install a port in it for O2 sensor), then intake, most TO4's have a 4inch inlet this creates fitment problems with accordian hose, but some TO4's(i think it is called HI-FI) have a smaller inlet so the accordian will bolt up. THen you need all the supporting mods listed above. Good Luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the SP61GT direct bolt on?

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
can some please confirm that the SP61GT is a bolt on? i have heard many say it is, but i havent seen it listed on their website, or forsale anywhere

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
beat me to it...musta replied as i was typing, thanks ma71, your a psychic. i believe the new turbo larry was talking about was their sp70 bb bolt on? its a few threads down on the list right now, still on the first page though

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
SP61GT:
Originally posted by Ven:
I talked to Larry a few days ago while he was packing for Vegas. Here's what I know...

-Latest production GT-40 Compressor/GT35 Turbine. Sorry I got no specs.

-Same direct bolt on hot side that's cast for T'netics.

- SP has the hotside remachined for the turbine, it's bigger than the other available stage 5. Machince work done for fitting the internals too. Hot side is ported.

- The internal wastegate is completely redone. I believe he mentioned foresure the size and possibly shape are changed. It should eliminate creep and spike as in the other units.

- The SP should spool faster than the other known Stage 5 due to the much more modern wheels, changes in the hot side, and bearing design.

- Power should be around 500rwhp with tuning and proper supporting mods. He hinted that 550 may be doable. (race gas, lots of boost)

-$999usd for the turbo, including the fitted actuator.

-$130-$140 for the lines/fittings.

-Available immediately.

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
mmmmm...sp61gt? or thenew spss700BB? decisions make life so hard

1 - 20 of 23 Posts