Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Targa JZA70 FTW
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im looking into gettin an mk3 and i have been reading the supras.com what to look for when buying a used supra and came accross this..

-Disconnect the hoses that connect to the accordion hose, including the Power Steering Idle-Up hose (small) on the bottom of the accordion (about mid-length of the accordion), and then loosen the clamp where the accordion connects to the turbo. You will, most likely, have to remove the upper plastic/metal pipe that routes from the intercooler to the 3000 pipe (the one that says "3000" on it) in order to access the accordion hose. Pull the accordion from the turbo and reach inside the turbo inlet and grab the center of the compressor wheel (at the center shaft connection). Check for radial (side-to-side; up-and-down) and axial (back-and-forth) play. Allowable play is 0.13mm (.0051-inch) axial and 0.18mm (.0071 inch) radial; this is, approximately, half a thickness of a fingernail.
Also, manually spin the compressor wheel and determine if it turns smoothly. When running the car, go to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) and confirm that boost pressure on the boost gauge is 6.5 psi or so. If all above is OK, then it is likely the turbocharger is not faulty.

How difficult is it to remove all the nescisary parts to get at the turbo and what tools are needed. Sorry guys i have never really worked on a supra before so im not too sure how hard this is. I just dont want the owner to think i am sabatoaging the car or something trying to get at the turbo. If anyone could post up an engine pic with like arrows or something on what has to be removed that would be super awesome too. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
520 Posts
a socket wrench, and a pair of pliers will help with the hose clamps, and a phillips head screwdriver. it is a black tube that comes of the turbo and looks like a accordian kind of. it is real easy to get off and check.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts