Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
I am buying a TT 97 (we are in the final stages). I am noticing that the carfax report does not indicate its a twin turbo. Also, on the back of the car (I have a pic) it does not have a decal for turbo (or twin).. Do all turbo's have the turbo decal in the back??

Thanks,
ShinRyu..

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
not after 96...they just say supra

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
^^^HUH? i swear that in the 97 and 98's they had Turbo back there and everyone before 97 didnt have it.

In the car fax as long as it says turbo its fine, i dont think it matters if it states twin or not. As for the turbo badge in the back he couldve just took it off ( dunno why the hell you would ). And for the engines, they look TOTALLY different. you can easily find pictures on this site with the search button. Just make sure your getting a 97 TT and not a 97 NA-T, there is a BIG difference in the two. Especally in price. So i recommend that you do your homework until the point you can pick out the two difference before purchasing the car.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Blk96SupraTT said:
^^^HUH? i swear that in the 97 and 98's they had Turbo back there and everyone before 97 didnt have it.

In the car fax as long as it says turbo its fine, i dont think it matters if it states twin or not. As for the turbo badge in the back he couldve just took it off ( dunno why the hell you would ). And for the engines, they look TOTALLY different. you can easily find pictures on this site with the search button. Just make sure your getting a 97 TT and not a 97 NA-T, there is a BIG difference in the two. Especally in price. So i recommend that you do your homework until the point you can pick out the two difference before purchasing the car.

That's what is worrying me. In the car fax, it does not state its a turbo of any kind. But the engine bay does look like a twin turbo setup. I will try to find a picture regarding how the engine bay looks like..

All it says is;
1997 TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT RF LTD ED
LIFTBACK 3 DR
3.0L L6 EFI / REAR WHEEL DRIVE

The engine looks like this puppy;

ShinRyu..

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Wow, seriously. I am in the process of buying a MKIV as well...says the same exact thing on this carfax. Its a 1993.5, nothing about being a Turbo. Can anyone verify this? It does look like a turbo under the hood, and the owner is selling it as a turbo, not n/a-t. Strange....

Here is a pic of the engine bay of the one Im looking at...yeah, a bit messy but Ill be working on it.

EDIT: Whew, you had me worried...just checked out 3 other TT vins...all 6-speed, so definitely TT unless they all underwent tranny conversions....guess what? They all said
199X TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT ROOF
VIN
LIFTBACK 3 DR

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rex03 said:
Wow, seriously. I am in the process of buying a MKIV as well...says the same exact thing on this carfax. Its a 1993.5, nothing about being a Turbo. Can anyone verify this? It does look like a turbo under the hood, and the owner is selling it as a turbo, not n/a-t. Strange....

Here is a pic of the engine bay of the one Im looking at...yeah, a bit messy but Ill be working on it.

EDIT: Whew, you had me worried...just checked out 3 other TT vins...all 6-speed, so definitely TT unless they all underwent tranny conversions....guess what? They all said
199X TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT ROOF
VIN
LIFTBACK 3 DR
LOL, thanks for the verify..
Other choice is during the test drive and wait for the sounds of spools spinning!

·
93 Hardtopper
834 Posts
I beleive the "Turbo" sticker on the back was a dealer installed option. It didnt come from the factory.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
birmy said:
I beleive the "Turbo" sticker on the back was a dealer installed option. It didnt come from the factory.
I am starting to think that because I am seeing 97 TT's with the decals, and some not.. Also, since its a 97 its a anniversary edition, which some cars have the decals and some dont.

ShinRyu..

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
birmy said:
Not in the earlier models. The 93.5s I know for sure. Not sure up to what year they started it though.

verified as a turbo...and is a 1993.5, notice that there is no turbo decal on the rear.

·
So... Yeah...
422 Posts
i have a 94 TT with no turbo badge on the back..my carfax report does say that it's turbo...
1994 TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT ROOF
LIFTBACK 3 DR
3.0L L6 TURBO EFI
GASOLINE
REAR WHEEL DRIVE

don't know why yours doesn't say turbo, but both pics are of turbo engines.. the n/a motors have a y pipe going over the valve cover

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
tdubz04 said:
i have a 94 TT with no turbo badge on the back..my carfax report does say that it's turbo...
1994 TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT ROOF
LIFTBACK 3 DR
3.0L L6 TURBO EFI
GASOLINE
REAR WHEEL DRIVE

don't know why yours doesn't say turbo, but both pics are of turbo engines.. the n/a motors have a y pipe going over the valve cover

Strange...might be one of those mysteries we never solve. The one I am getting, being delivered next weekend, is original TT...but doesnt say it in the Carfax. Again, I checked out 6-7 TT supras, and none of them said turbo anywhere in the carfax...some were 6-speeds, so more than likely original TTs.

Yes, thats the one Im getting next weekend, being delivered. Its pretty clean, from the pics, does need some repairs, but thanks :) It is anthracite.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
TO CLEAR THINGS UP:
The Carfax will undoubtedly say Turbo when it describes the engine:
3.0L L6 TURBO EFI

In '97 and '98, all turbo models had turbo on the back of the car. The car you are looking at is definitely not an original turbo model. It was swapped. If the owner is hiding this, they are probably hiding more.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
notlownf said:
Won't the VIN # have a designation if it's turbo or not?
exactly, the first 3 to 4 no#s on the VIN# indicate if the supra is TT or not.
i remember specifically when I went to the DMV to register my car when I first bought it, the guy typed in my VIN# and was like "wow, turbo" and I said how did he know that and he explained to me bout the 3-4 no#'s in the VIN indicate that's the supra is a turbo or not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts