Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings hivemind,

As much as I love my mkiv for all its good things, the light output of the stock halogens isnt one of those strong suits and had seriously shocked me with how dissapointing they are.
The headlights where legit worse than a smart car and it is the first car I have ownend where I thought the lights where actually so dim that they are dangerous.
I tried to remedy it with some 65W Osram nightbreaker halogen bulbs, but to no avail, slightly better but still bad.

So I started looking up alternatives. HID is cool, but very expensive to do right and fit full HID units to my headlights (like acura TSX ones) and most of all fully illegal to do so in the country that I live in. That left me looking in the direction of a LED retrofit ,which as long as the beam pattern adheres to some strict rules regarding scattering and pattern shape, are perfectly legal in my country.

In my search I stumbled across a myriad of very bright very high light output LED's, that would also fully blind my fellow road users and have me pulled of the road in about 15 minutes or so.

Thats where the morimoto's come in. Are they expensive for just some bulbs? YES. Do they actually function right has they are supposed to and are they supra worthy as a quality solution to a problem? YES.

I love them, the light output as atleast doubled, and for the money, I think they are a phenomonal outcome for someone who wants to drive safely at night without shelling out $800 for a full HID retrofit.

10/10 reccomend them, they dont instantly make your car 2021 spec, but they manage about 2015 in the headlight department. Which is good enough for me for $200,-

See the pics below, taken on the same point on the road, the trees where always there but with the halogens you would only see them when they where already in your glovebox.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Get your geadlights re-adjusted after installing them. My lights needed to be adjusted upwards quite a bit after installing these bulbs.

Also important: Clock the bulbs. They are directional. The power cord needs to be facing straight down, this influences the beam pattern greatly!
Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Asphalt Road surface Body of water

Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Grass Natural landscape

Automotive lighting Midnight Tints and shades Electricity City
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this.
Have you had any indications oncoming drivers are being blinded?
Did you upgrade any wiring or install a relay kit?
Have you noticed any heat issues?

The first two pics are shocking.

Erin

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this.
Have you had any indications oncoming drivers are being blinded?
Did you upgrade any wiring or install a relay kit?
Have you noticed any heat issues?

The first two pics are shocking.

Erin
I have been driving with them for about a week now, its my daily car so I drive it evey single day, and I havent been blinked at once.
The beam pattern and scattering has also been checked with a certified testing machine as those are the local rules here for passing yearly inspection and it came out great!

There is no need for relay's, wiring or resistors whatsoever. It's entirely plug and play! Took about 3 minutes to install.
Regarding heat, my experience so far is that they don't get any hotter than is comfortable to touch, they simply havent gotten hotter than that after about 45 minutes of running them continously.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Eye-watering price for LED though. $246 a set. Reading up on them, seems like a lot of thought and technology went into them, so OK ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eye-watering price for LED though. $246 a set. Reading up on them, seems like a lot of thought and technology went into them, so OK ?
Definitely worth the money in my opnion. But it depends on your circumstances. Getting a HID conversion is going to be very expensive and difficult for me because of the legality issues. For someone looking for a plug and play solution with instant improvement these are in my opinion a 100% worth the money.

·
Old School
4,136 Posts
That's an impressive result for a P&P solution.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you end up needing any of the extension caps? I have been looking for a nice simple upgrade to my lights for some time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you end up needing any of the extension caps? I have been looking for a nice simple upgrade to my lights for some time.
Nope nothing at all, I just bought the two bulbs and made sure to clock them the right way and have my headlights re-adjusted.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi Joey, thanks for the write up man. They look so much better than my Philips halogen bulbs.
Very impressive. So when are you taking me for a ride ;)

Casper

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Joey, thanks for the write up man. They look so much better than my Philips halogen bulbs.
Very impressive. So when are you taking me for a ride ;)

Casper
Hey man! You are so right! I havent even showed off my suup to you! With a bit of luck I have to be in Hengelo in a little while, I will be able to swing by ofcourse!

·
Old School
4,136 Posts
You only need the caps for newer cars that have the bulb wiring sealed inside the headlight, not an issue for a 1994 Toyota. I agree about the simple upgrade & ordered the low & high beams due this Friday. Can't wait.

Thanks to @liquidpopcorn for the idea. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You only need the caps for newer cars that have the bulb wiring sealed inside the headlight, not an issue for a 1994 Toyota. I agree about the simple upgrade & ordered the low & high beams due this Friday. Can't wait.

Thanks to @liquidpopcorn for the idea. :)
You're welcome! I am really curious to see what both high and low beam will look like, that must be an explosion of light when they are both on at the same time compared to the halogens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts