Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my track car (modified 89 Taurus SHO) up and running and wanted to stretch it's legs, so I head into town.

As I get to the edge of town, a group of cars pulls onto the highway, a 350Z, a G37, SC 300 and others in the mix. Now mind you, my car does not look or sound stock. The SC300 pulls up beside me, and I give it a bit of gas (in 4th gear). He hits it and I can tell he has some surprises under the hood. I slow and shift to 3rd, and I hear him brake boosting, sounded pretty solid. We both hit it and wind it out to somewhere near 6k in 4th, so just a quick 60-120 run. I might have pulled a car or two, was paying more attention to my gauges as the setup is all new and I'm still fine tuning.

Found him later that night and we talked, seems he has a 62mm single turbo supra engine swap, around 18psi. Assuming it's mostly bolt on stuff, should he be in the 450whp range?

I'm running only 10psi (350ish whp), but my car is much lighter, so it ended being a decent run.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also, any reason someone would out a 1jz in that SC300? I assume they are not nearly as capable as the 2jz. I can't recall for sure which he had. But 18 psi and 450hp I do recall.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see I see. Maybe he just said Supra engine, and I assumed it was a swap. The NA engine handle 18psi okay?

Wish I had taken some pics and asked more questions. It was a solid ride.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I see I see. Maybe he just said Supra engine, and I assumed it was a swap. The NA engine handle 18psi okay?

Wish I had taken some pics and asked more questions. It was a solid ride.
yes, as long as he is running a TT headgasket or e85, the ge engine can do 18psi

sc300s are just supras in fat suits!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I liked the idea of the 1jz since it's what the car came with originally in Japan. I'm not looking to break any world records, so the 1jz fits my needs of being able to make around 700whp and be a fun weekend car. Plus I like the slight difference in sound the 1jz has. Don't get me wrong, I love 2j's. I just happened to find the right 1j setup at the time I was buying the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts