Supra Forums banner

quick smoke question

781 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  supercompact 
#1 ·
First off, I searched and found numerous stuff but was trying to see if anyone had the exact same symptoms as me. Car is a 94 6spd, mods are 3" catless dp and hks smf intake. I get a little smoke on startup, (mostly cold starts, and more-so when the car has sat for a while) but I chalked this up to being the valve stem seals. However, the other day I noticed that when idling, if I revved it a bit, a bit of bluish oil smoke would come out of the exhaust. After checking it out for a while I noticed that if I tried it right when I came back from driving, there was only a TINY bit of smoke coming out. However, if I let it idle for a while then tried it, more smoke came out. What im wondering is if by those symptoms would it point to the valve stem seals, turbo seals, or possibly a ring? Im HOPING it could be the pcv valve but I dont know if I will be that lucky. The car has 75k miles on it, previous owner was BPU so I wont count out turbo seals. Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

#4 ·
If it only smokes on cold startup and then goes away after it warms up it is your valve stem seals. Toyota charges around $1400 to fix them. If it smokes on deceleration it could be your turbo seals but I doubt it. It won't hurt anything just drive it unless your like me cause I am doing my valve stem seals this week cause I like everything to be in top shape.

Jason

#5 ·
1slow93turbo said:
If it only smokes on cold startup and then goes away after it warms up it is your valve stem seals. Toyota charges around $1400 to fix them. If it smokes on deceleration it could be your turbo seals but I doubt it. It won't hurt anything just drive it unless your like me cause I am doing my valve stem seals this week cause I like everything to be in top shape.

Jason

well, I cannot see anything when I am driving so im not sure if it happens on deceleration as well. If im revving it in neutral and hold it at say 2k rpms or whatever, it will take a few seconds, then the smoke will come out. If I just blip the throttle, same thing, after a few seconds the smoke will start to come out. The only reason why i suspected it was other things was because I thought the valve stem seal issue was most apparent only on startup but guess I was wrong.

#6 ·
Also, another member told me if the previous owner was running high boost all the time it could pop a valve seal and thats why its doing it. However, I kind of did not believe him as the valve seal issue comes up on cars even running stock boost, and the the guys with huge singles do not have different seals right?

#7 ·
Also, would adding a high flow cat or putting back the stock dp (would HATE TO DO THAT) block most or all of the smoke? I noticed what some other members noticed that the longer it idles, if I blip the throttle the more smoke comes out, I am trying to make sure it is the valve seals and not turbo seals.

#8 ·
valve seals. mine also does it. would a leak down test verify that or no? my compression test came out ok.

#11 ·
also, sometimes I noticed now that if it idles for a while, instead of me blipping the throttle if I hold it a little over idle or more, smoke will pour out for a bit. It seems that if I rev higher and hold it there, less/no smoke. Does this still sound like the valve seals or possibly turbo seal/rings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.