Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I want better cooling and reliability, so I'm going with a 180 degree thermostat for my 1jz. It worked great in my 7m so I trust it to do the same for the 1j. Now, the 7m thermostat DOESN'T work for the 1jz right? The thermostat I'm supposed to get is a 2jz 180 degree?

:sadance: Thank you

And also I don't wanna start another thread so I might as well just ask here I know to get NGK 3330 spark plugs but what do I do for spark wires? Do I just get 2jz spark wires? :dunno:

·
Registered
347 Posts
You need the 2j thermostat, order it from jeff when you get the other seals and stuff your going to need.

1j and 2j = no plug wires, the col sits on the plug.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
Well I want better cooling and reliability, so I'm going with a 180 degree thermostat for my 1jz. It worked great in my 7m so I trust it to do the same for the 1j. Now, the 7m thermostat DOESN'T work for the 1jz right? The thermostat I'm supposed to get is a 2jz 180 degree?

:sadance: Thank you

And also I don't wanna start another thread so I might as well just ask here I know to get NGK 3330 spark plugs but what do I do for spark wires? Do I just get 2jz spark wires? :dunno:
If you've got spark wires... then one of 2 things: 1) you don't have a 1JZ/2JZ. 2) you're running a standalone.

I bet it's secret answer #3, you just realized that you got owned...
If you're talking about the coil packs, then yes... the 2JZ packs work.

BTW, get some ngk 6097's, they have a larger tip that's grooved. Gap it to .032 if you're only bpu. I'm at .027 right now.

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
Maybe he has the 1jzge or 2jzge non-turbo. :1poke:

Those two engines need spark plug wires.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't know the 1jz didn't have spark wires. Jeez :\

NGK 6097's better than NGK 3330's?

Mods: lw flywheel, 2.5" ypipe/3" dp/3" straight out/2.5" hardpipes/24x12x4 fmic

Boosting till fuel cut, if I hit it, I'm tuning around it (safc)

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
You have all this done to your car and u didnt know the 1JZ was coil on plug? lol

6097's i found are alot smoother on idle, less misfire. 1JZ's misfire at low rpms off boost anyways (powerFC seems to fix that).

I run no thermostat here in FL. I drive 50-100mi a day. Average water temp is 160.. On the highway at 80mph with the AC on, it might get 175. This is all with my fan on low (late 90s ford contour 2spd elec fan) and a cheap all metal replacement 2JZGTE supra radiator. I get the best performance at around 140 degrees (no high rpm misfire at 18psi), but the best fuel miledge around 175.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
Didn't know the 1jz didn't have spark wires. Jeez :\

NGK 6097's better than NGK 3330's?

Mods: lw flywheel, 2.5" ypipe/3" dp/3" straight out/2.5" hardpipes/24x12x4 fmic

Boosting till fuel cut, if I hit it, I'm tuning around it (safc)

just bustin' your chops....
6097's are better, for the most part. I like running them. They just might foul out faster...so I"m told.

AGlobalThreat said:
Are the timing belt and front/rear main seals also from the 2jz? Or do I have to order 1jz ones?

The timing belt is specific for each car. I have an extra BRAND NEW TOYOTA timing belt for the 1JZ for sale. The main seals I believe are ok for either block

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
cam seals are 1JZ specific (theres dealerships in the US that can get em), and the timimg belt is the same as a izusu from the late 80s... its $26 bux from most part stores, both my cars run em. I forgot what specific model, but its plenty findable with a search

1 - 14 of 14 Posts