Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 255/45ZR17 front and 275/40ZR17 back fit well with stock rims? Also I have no clue what the 45 and 40 stand for so any info is appreciated and if I got numbers wrong just let me know ASAP!
 

·
D u a l s t a r
Joined
·
534 Posts
chester said:
Also I have no clue what the 45 and 40 stand for so any info is appreciated and if I got numbers wrong just let me know ASAP!
Thoes numbers are the hight of the tire sidewall (in millimeters). It's how "thick" the tire is on top of the rim. So you have 17 inch rims and a sidewall hight of 40mm, would give you a wheel of 20.15 inches in diameter total on the back. (17 + 1.575*2) And 20.544 inches diameter in the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,291 Posts
Re: Re: Quick tire size question

Mary-Kate Olsen said:


Thoes numbers are the hight of the tire sidewall (in millimeters). It's how "thick" the tire is on top of the rim. So you have 17 inch rims and a sidewall hight of 40mm, would give you a wheel of 20.15 inches in diameter total on the back. (17 + 1.575*2) And 20.544 inches diameter in the front.
Actually the second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width. So a 255/40/17 has a sidewall that is 102mm tall, where a 275/40/17's sidewall is 110mm tall.
 

·
D u a l s t a r
Joined
·
534 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Quick tire size question

Josh S said:
Actually the second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width. So a 255/40/17 has a sidewall that is 102mm tall, where a 275/40/17's sidewall is 110mm tall.
Ack! You are right. I wasn't thinking correctly.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top