Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to replace my spark plugs on my 94 NA for the fist time
I have bought the correct plugs and the tools needed.

But when i read the article at MKIV.com on "How to replace spark plugs on an NA"
That made me sick, they made it look like a nightmare.

Is it relly that hard to get acces to the plugs ?, i have to remove the intake pipes, bolts that is nowhere near the plugs and wires ?

Would like a better guide or hints on how to do this without removing all that stuff form the engine area, or maybe a better guide then the one at Mkiv.

·
Registered
476 Posts
remove the intake pipe and just remove the throttle body, that's all I did, took me only 5-10minutes. It's easy once you get started, it's overwhelming when you read about it, but its reallllllllly simple. l8erz
Michael Nguyen

·
11,221 Posts
It looks "hard" because it may be your first time. I had a buddy of mine help me out the first time I did mine too.

But once you start unbolting shit, it's very straight forward. You only have to remove the tb because of plugs 3/4.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
It's easier than it looks. :1poke: Just take a few deep breaths then print out the steps and follow the directions. :)

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
michaelvanle said:
It looks "hard" because it may be your first time. I had a buddy of mine help me out the first time I did mine too.

But once you start unbolting shit, it's very straight forward. You only have to remove the tb because of plugs 3/4.
exactly. You just seperate the throttle body from the intake..put a tool of some sort between them since the throttle cable will be trying to pull it back together..then get a swivel + socket wrench = "vwalla" plugs 3 and 4 have been replaced :) . It'll take you 30 minutes to 1 hour if it's your first time, only because you will be going slow out of paranoia.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Some advice I have is:

To let the TB move forward enough without disconnecting the coolant line (which usually makes a mess), follow the small hose down near the oil filter. There is a little bracket holding the line in place and if you unbolt it, it will give you a lot more slack. Quick and painless. Just reconnect after done.
When you bolt everything back together, there is no need to go crazy on torquing the bolts down.

Something I've always found troubling is that sand will get down in the plug valley and around the spark plugs. If I notice it accumulating, I'll remove the TB/ Y-pipe and that long plate that covers the valley. I'll get the shop vac with the narrow attachment and pull all that sand out before removing the plugs. Something you may want to think about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts