• Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVTi 6062
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup fellas. This winter I will be making the following upgrades for more power. My goal is to max out the 6062 on e85.
  • SPA cast t4 manifold
  • T4 1.0 a/r housing for my 6062
  • Nice mandrel bent downpipe 3"
One thing I don't like about my build is the drone! Right now I'm using some shitty replica HKS super drager exhaust. Anything below 3k rpm creates a head-rattling drone. Also, the fitment is kinda bad so it scrapes a lot.
So with my power goal in mind, which exhaust do you guys think I should run with?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quietest would be the lett16. I have the revel and love it. I had the hks years ago and chose the revel over going with the hks again. Id say its one maybe two steps above the hks in loudness. Not annoying at all and no drone. And for 600-700 anything 3" is fine. No need to step up to a 4" yet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Run a “turbo” style restrictive baffled and chambered unit (huge) with a 3” electric cutout , none of that is light, but you can have the cut out hooked to the TPS and open over like 3/8ths throttle so you can be under cover and still make big power. This is the set up I will be running not just inventing the idea now

·
Super Moderator
13,816 Posts
Sup fellas. This winter I will be making the following upgrades for more power. My goal is to max out the 6062 on e85.
  • SPA cast t4 manifold
  • T4 1.0 a/r housing for my 6062
  • Nice mandrel bent downpipe 3"
One thing I don't like about my build is the drone! Right now I'm using some shitty replica HKS super drager exhaust. Anything below 3k rpm creates a head-rattling drone. Also, the fitment is kinda bad so it scrapes a lot.
So with my power goal in mind, which exhaust do you guys think I should run with?
If at all possible, go for a 3.5in or 4in downpipe, even if you neck it back down to 3in as it goes under the car. Having that extra volume+diameter just past the turbine housing makes a significant improvement across the whole spectrum - spool, midrange torque, and top end, especially if you go to a 1.00 housing.
No need for a full 3.5 or 4in exhaust given your HP goals, as already stated.

I think you'd prefer the Tanabe Revel. If your car was closer to a stock or 'OEM+' sort of configuration the HKS would be perfect. But you built a badass bitch of a MK3, and you should have a good looking and good sounding aftermarket exhaust to match!

Reactions: omicca

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,217 Posts
HKS LET16 won't flow that much. At 400 WHP, it seems to be pretty restrictive already. I don't know how much more I can push it. I love it, but it's not a straight thorough design. If you don't like the revel. Make a custom Varex system which the cutout is in the muffler it's self.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I really like the HKS Silent HI power, mellow like the dragger in sound at low RPMs. It is full stainless so it will last, i was always disappointed with the dragger because of the steel piping.
Camera lens Wood Camera Plastic bag Gas
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Hood

It does exit the rear at an angle, i know that might bother some people. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVTi 6062
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the HKS Silent HI power, mellow like the dragger in sound at low RPMs. It is full stainless so it will last, i was always disappointed with the dragger because of the steel piping.
View attachment 282516 View attachment 282517
It does exit the rear at an angle, i know that might bother some people. I am very happy with it.
Any droning? 2-3k rpm is mind numbing with my current setup 🗿

·
90T
1,615 Posts
HKS LET16 won't flow that much. At 400 WHP, it seems to be pretty restrictive already. I don't know how much more I can push it. I love it, but it's not a straight thorough design.
Actually, it is straight through as this borescope video I made shows.

·
Registered
109 Posts
View attachment 282516 View attachment 282517
I had always loved the angled look with the canister mufflers. The HKS looks almost identical to my Greddy, wonder if they're built in the same place

·
Super Moderator
13,816 Posts
HKS LET16 won't flow that much. At 400 WHP, it seems to be pretty restrictive already. I don't know how much more I can push it. I love it, but it's not a straight thorough design. If you don't like the revel. Make a custom Varex system which the cutout is in the muffler it's self.
Actually, it is straight through as this borescope video I made shows.
The HKS LET-T16 is more restrictive because it's 75mm piping that goes to ~70mm ID in some places, unlike most other catbacks on the market which are 80mm+ piping. That does start making a notable difference above 450-500whp

Reactions: 3p141592654

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had always loved the angled look with the canister mufflers. The HKS looks almost identical to my Greddy, wonder if they're built in the same place
They look almost the same, only the 4 bolts vs 2 at the bend. I had the blitz before this one and i like the HKS sound much better. I think that i am older now and a quieter exhaust is better to live with. ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a Greddy/Trust power extreme 2 I bought over 12 years ago. It's super quiet idling but is nice and throaty when I get on it.

heres a video of my dyno tune back in 2012

I've been running this same exhaust for many years. My main concern with it is that there are 2 restrictor pipes (one before the resonator and one before the muffler), which taper down to below 2"; hence why it is JASMA certified. That has to be a huge restriction for higher HP engine. I made 516whp with it, but sure it would have been more with a free flowing system. I am in love with the sound tho. I plan on replacing the test pipe with a cutout and continue using my Greddy PEII.
Gas Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part Metal

Reactions: awsom-0

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,217 Posts
The HKS LET-T16 is more restrictive because it's 75mm piping that goes to ~70mm ID in some places, unlike most other cutbacks on the market, which are 80mm+ piping. That does start making a notable difference above 450-500whp
wow, I remember cutting up the 65mm, way back in the day, and it had a cross; maybe only one of the tubes is straight, though? The other isn't? Regardless, it sounds pretty choked up at 400 WHP. You can hear it in some of my vegas videos. Let me see if I can upload one. Maybe the design changed over the years of remakes? Or possibly the NA 65MM version was more restrictive.

I have the 75MM one on my car now.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'll vouch for the HKS Hi-power Silent as well. No drone in my experience. Road noise for me is more from the tires and poly bushings, but push in the clutch at highway speeds and the sound barely changes.

·
Super Moderator
13,816 Posts
The LET-T16 was always 75mm, it was often marketed/sold as the 'HKS Sport Turbo' exhaust or 'D2 Sport'.
The design hasn't changed ever AFAIK, but the paint/coating on older examples was silver instead of black.

The NA version was 65mm and didn't have the 'D2' tip it was one of another variety (T2, I think) I'd only ever seen one of those 65mm catbacks in my life and that was almost 20 years ago now. Yes those had a baffled muffler and resonator, and could probably pass as stock under almost any scrutiny. Definitely way too restrictive for any turbo car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been running this same exhaust for many years. My main concern with it is that there are 2 restrictor pipes (one before the resonator and one before the muffler), which taper down to below 2"; hence why it is JASMA certified. That has to be a huge restriction for higher HP engine. I made 516whp with it, but sure it would have been more with a free flowing system. I am in love with the sound tho. I plan on replacing the test pipe with a cutout and continue using my Greddy PEII.
View attachment 282593
YES! that was a concern of mine as well. I will probably do the test pipe cutout like you as well because it does sound great and I enjoy keeping it quiet until I need it lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts