Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quiet performance is our future! Help please.

If you live in Texas and if you have been pulled over for a conversation with any of our outstanding representatives of law enforcement, you probably know that we have new and very harsh laws pertaining to "exhibition of speed". Exhibition of speed is now on the same level as a DUI, even if you don't exceed the speed limit. Instant arrest for you and impound for your car. The officer that nailed my son explained to me that he was two blocks off the main road when he heard my son's exhaust. He drives a 2000 Civic Si, slammed and lots of mods including a performance GReddy exhaust system. It has a beautiful sound but the cops and tuning in, listening for opportunities for new victims.

For my 89T Sup, I am looking for a 3" system from the turbo back. I have chosen the DP and high flow cat, but I need a cat back with quiet performance. Does anyone know of any exhaust that won't announce your arrival before you get there?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
couldnt you just put maybe 2 high flow cats on there since they dont bring down perfomance barely at all if none. resonator?

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
buy 2 striaght through resonators and a big oval muffler......should run pretty quiet...

just think logically on this one....

Tanabe's Hyper Medallion ( oval canister one) is fairly quiet...just a low rumble at WOT. My buddy has it in town on his mk3 and its much more quiet than my set up ( 3" straight out with a turbo N1 cansiter)

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Tanabe is the quietest setup that is readily available.

You can duplicate the setup basically by running 2 mufflers. The first muffler cancels most of the sound and the 2nd muffler cancels the rest.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
HKS super drager = quiet as hell

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
MKIIINA said:
HKS super drager = quiet as hell

indeed.. HKS Super Drager, HKS Sport and Greddy SP are the most quiet exhausts ive heard.

i own the HKS Super Drager and when you are cruising..you cant even hear it. People have come up to my car and didnt know it was on.

HKS sport, althought smaller, is more stealth in looks along with its quiet tone.

H

·
0 Posts
greddy is the quietest one i know of out there unless to you go with a old turbo style muffler not the best as far as straight through they use baffles but if your going 3" it still flow good not as good but they are queit there was a Walker Dynomax muffler that was one of the quietest mufflers back in the day if your makeing your own. Alot of the time cops hear a good sounding car and see the chrome muffler and write you up you might want to flat black your muffler and tip it's not much for looks but at least your not yelling pull me over souped up Supra.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a HKS Super Dragger on mine and the whole reason I bought it was because it is quiet as hell. I had a loud ass exaust on my last supra and it was just annoing after about a month. The HKS is quiet while cruising, but then a WOT it sounds beautiful...yet not to loud.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Satan said:
HKS dual tip is what I have.... quiet and looks stock....
Another vote for the HKS dual-tip.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
MKNTRAXX said:
Aren't those known to rust out quick though?
Mine lasted 7 years, driving in the winter in the heavily salted northeast. I wasn't especially upset that it rusted thru in that time span. I went out and got the Drager after that, still on the car, louder than the sport but still quiet. The Drager "looks" like it should be loud though.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Get the HKS dual tip.. looks friggen stock.. but flows good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't locate the HKS dual tip on-line. Are they still available?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
When I left MVP last September, they were talking about discontinuing the HKS Sport so I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone.

The Drager, and yes there is only ONE G in Drager, is way overpriced for what it is. Half of what you pay for is the HKS name. And it's not even stainless.

A great medium is the Tanabe. Full stainless, not too agressive looking or sounding and is cheaper than any of the exhausts previously mentioned. Best bang for the buck out there as far as exhaust goes. You get full stainless steel, quiet, and a very well performing exhaust at a fraction of what some of the others will run you.

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
I rather like the sound of a straight-piped 7m...

Very meaty, not terribly loud, and could be mistaken for a V8 by the donut eaters.

Of course I roll with a Blitz Nur Spec... which is far from quiet. If I could go back and do it again, I would get a custom straight-pipe system. Sadly, it would have cost me more to go that route (stainless mandrel bent custom 3" exhaust is NOT cheap here).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Shlongor said:
I rather like the sound of a straight-piped 7m...

Very meaty, not terribly loud, and could be mistaken for a V8 by the donut eaters.

Of course I roll with a Blitz Nur Spec... which is far from quiet. If I could go back and do it again, I would get a custom straight-pipe system. Sadly, it would have cost me more to go that route (stainless mandrel bent custom 3" exhaust is NOT cheap here).

Straight pipe.... quiet..??? When I first did my stainless 3" I drove the car without the muffler and it sounded like a tractor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts