Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i've got a 91 mazda b2600 that might need a a/c compressor and while i was looking for parts/prices i started thinking about doing a conversion. does anyone here have any experience with this? i've read that you need to replace the receiver/drier but is that it? what all would i have to change inorder to make this work?
thanks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
you just need to use retrofit for r134a. the drier only absorb moisture and yes you need to replace it and flush your system, because r12 can not be mixed with r134a. your also A/C won't be as cool as r-12 since the boiling point for r-134 is higher and you need higher pressure system for r-134a. also the molecule on r-134 are smaller so you will loos the gas faster if you use the rubber lines that are used for r-12 gas

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. do i need to get a drier for a r-134 system? also, do i have to change all of the o-rings or are they the same for both?
thanks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
driyers are same on all cars. it's just the location of them makes the difference. you can change the orings if you want to,but it's not nessesary if they are not leaking. see is they make any rubber lines for R134a for your car. that way you can keep the A/C charged for longer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
r-134a sucks if your converting from r-12.

I use freeze 12 (pepboys) in my r-12 system. Works great.
I think you can still get r-12 in arizona if you needed..

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know its colder but 134 will do fine for me. the reason i thought the dryer had to be changed is because the different oil used in the 2 systems, this is not right? also, i think i'll change all of the o-rings while i'm at it, couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
they do use different oil, but i don't see why they can be different. dryer perpus is to absorb moisture and nothing else. if you can find one for r134 then go ahead and get it, but i don't think they specify this dryer if for r12 or r134a. the dryes are specify by beeing on high side or low side not the gas they use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts