Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Not sure on the mileage of the tranny. If I am on high gear comparing to the speed and under 2000rpm and step on the gas I will get a funny noise from the tranny. I am not sure if it is worn insulation between the tranny and fuselage or is it a bearing sound.

It's not the same kind of sound I had in my old Supra N/A W58 that had bad bearings. It had a clear whining sound coming from it. This is different sound.

Any ideas what it could be? I would like to fix it before I am going to push some serious hp through it.

·
Resetting
1,666 Posts
have you checked the fluid in it? A friend of mine put in some ams oil and the trans for some reason didnt like that type of oil and it made whining noises and was hard to shift thru the gears. Dont know if this helps at all good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Check and/or change your transmission and differential oil. When the oil levels get low, the r154 and differential get chatty.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
i bet a hundred bajillion dollars its yer carrier bearing

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed to Redline tranny oil but it had no effect on the sound.

JonnyRedline said:
i bet a hundred bajillion dollars its yer carrier bearing

Havent searched yet, but is this a common fault on R-154's? Full overhaul is needed to change that bearing?

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
its the center bearing in the 2 piece driveshaft...get under the car and inspect it...easiest way to tell is to grab the driveshaft and see if it moves up and down

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JonnyRedline said:
its the center bearing in the 2 piece driveshaft...get under the car and inspect it...easiest way to tell is to grab the driveshaft and see if it moves up and down
Oh, well then it's brand new. Didnt know what it's called in english. :dumbass:

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
well if its brand new then id say yer tranny is prolly gonna blow up soon! :p

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JonnyRedline said:
well if its brand new then id say yer tranny is prolly gonna blow up soon! :p
Grrrr... oh well.. I'll have my mech take a look at it. :urowned:

Second opinion, anyone?

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
330 Posts
I do and I have a very similar sound. I also have a one piece driveshaft and have switched to LW Shockproof. Please share your opinion, sorry for hijacking your thread a bit Krister.

·
Your mom goes to college
416 Posts
hmm, well there goes that idea! I was just going to say that I have a very similiar sound that only started after switching to semi-solid mounts. Since there were so many other new sounds/vibrations that came along with the mounts, I just attributed that sound to go along with them.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
what clutch are your using?

·
Your mom goes to college
416 Posts
JonnyRedline said:
what clutch are your using?
Me or Krister? I'm using an HPF Bronze with an ACT HD pressure plate, and fidanza flywheel.

I don't think my noise is anything bad. Just feels/sounds like some vibrations that weren't there before.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've noticed the sound as well, and especially since it kind of resonates with my Al driveshaft. I've been through 2 different gear oils in the trans and when I swapped differentials I obviously changed that as well, and no matter what it still will do it under 2000RPM in any gear but 1st. I have never had any problem with my trans (besides it not liking Amsoil gear oil and beating up the synchros a bit--my fault)

One thing I might point out is that in the factory manual it says you should drive between 2000 and 4000 RPM (I think it specifies for break in, but regardless), so I'd imagine something in there is really not designed to do that and with the relatively high mileage on mk3's whatever it was could start to make noise. Personally I don't drive below 2000 RPM since its way out of its cruising comfort power zone and it seems like the engine needs more boost and throttle input when trying to drive slowly up a hill starting at 2000 RPM. At 3000 RPM that same hill may be only another tiny bit of throttle input, it gets the turbo going a tad and your up and over, no straining at all.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I basicly fixed the problem. Under the shift boot there is a rubber "second shift boot" and it wasnt mounted. Fixed it and the sounds went down like 100%. I guess the 2nd shift boot works as a sound insulator.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Krister said:
I basicly fixed the problem. Under the shift boot there is a rubber "second shift boot" and it wasnt mounted. Fixed it and the sounds went down like 100%. I guess the 2nd shift boot works as a sound insulator.

Since there are two layers of rubber to that boot I could defiitely see how you'd pickup a LOT of additional noise.

For those who don't know: There's actually three layers of rubber in all, the lowest one which consists of two parts, then the top two which come out with the shifter. The top two have the metal bracket on them which holds down all three. Then ontop of that there's the leather shift boot, of course.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Hey, when i let the car roll on idle without hittin the gas, i get this little whiney noise, like something is rubbin or something, i changed the trany fluid, and strill the same, its an 88 auto turbo, im so confused, this is my third tranny im, goin threw :D sorry to jack ur thread there, but since we were on topic might as well ask. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts