1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
911 Turbo S vs Corvette Z06 vs Audi R8 5.2 vs Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Porsche 911 Turbo S - 530hp

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Lap Time: 1:40.11

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/car/2011-porsche-911-turbo-s-to-the-power-of-12

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 505hp

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Lap Time: 1:39.29

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/car/2011-chevrolet-corvette-z06-to-the-power-of-12

Audi R8 5.2 FSI - 525hp

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Lap Time: 1:40.20

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/car/2010-audi-r8-5.2-fsi-to-the-power-of-12

Aston Martin V12 Vantage - 510hp

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Lap Time: 1:43.04

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/car/2011-aston-martin-v12-vantage-coupe-to-the-power-of-12

Our Choices Are...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/car/to-the-power-of-12-our-choices-are

Porsche 911 Turbo S

The Porsche 911 Turbo S has all the latest and greatest technology such as all-wheel drive with torque vectoring, PDK twin-clutch transmission, variable valve timing, and a direct-injected twin-turbo flat-6 powerplant rated at 530 bhp and 516 lb.-ft. of torque. Zero to 60 mph acceleration? In 2.6 seconds...that’s right, matching the $1 million 1001-bhp Bugatti Veyron’s incredible feat. While the Turbo S can’t match the Veyron for sheer speed, it will still turn in record-breaking stopping distances from 80–0 mph—the best Road & Track has ever seen—and supercar-level handling numbers comparable to or better than those of the Ferrari Enzo or even Porsche’s own Carrera GT.

And normally this is the point where excuses would come in about how this car is too pricey, and that it’s not practical to own. To drive the point home even further, this unassuming, familiar 911-bodied Turbo S rocket ship can do it all, with two more seats in the back to take your kids along for the thrill ride. All this is done at a fraction of the cost of the Bugatti, and still coming in as the second least expensive in our gathering of impressive sports cars. It can be a speed demon on the track, or docile enough to take on a weekend getaway or to the local store. I’ll take one now!

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

The Corvette hides none of its faults. The Z06 doesn’t trick you into thinking it’s a glamorous high-class ride, then pull the rug out from under you. It does the opposite: It hides its carbon fiber beneath paint and the LS7 engine doesn’t get the window treatment from the ZR1.

But then you don’t drive the Z06 for flash, contrary to stereotypes. You should drive a Z06 because when you hit that middle pedal, the carbon-ceramic brakes exert repeatable perform*ance corner after corner. Its suspension and wheel/tire package enable incredible g-loading through the apex, and then with a squeeze of the throttle you’re rocketing through the exit and onto the straight.

The car flat delivers.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the best street car here. The seats are the main culprit behind that. They seem to transfer heat from the center tunnel very effectively, like the seat heaters are always on. They also don’t have very much lateral support.

At least a potential remedy is just a few mouse clicks and a credit card number away. Even after some modifications, it would still be the lowest priced entrant in this group. If outright performance is your objective, how can you not pick it?

Audi R8 5.2 FSI

Incredible how close this group of cars compares, given their eclectic approaches toward a common goal of pure driving enjoyment. But for me, the choice is clear. The Audi R8 brings me all I could want from this group in one package: mid-engine weight distribution, excellent handling dynamics, aggressive contemporary styling, a manual transmission and a snarling V-10 engine.

Considering that the R8 in this test was outfitted with standard tires and brakes compared to the performance-option items on the competitors, the closeness of the results only highlights the ability of the R8 as an overall performer. The instantly familiar roomy cockpit is the perfect place to command this car with inherent confidence in all conditions. The R8 offers plenty of communication as it approaches its limits and allows the driver a lot of fun on the track with lively mid-corner rotational response that’s tempered by all-wheel-drive traction on power through the apex. Accelerating away from every corner accompanied by the visceral wail of the V-10 is not only supremely enjoyable, it’s totally addictive.

Couple all that with bold styling that is truly unique and you’ve got something that captivates the eyes of onlookers and endlessly rewards its driver.

This car’s for me!

Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Proper. Like an English professor wearing a tweed jacket. The Vantage sounds and drives like it looks—sublime. Of this bunch it’s the one the others are trying to emulate...not necessarily in performance, but in character. It’s the only proper V-12 GT here. Each of the other cars needs more of something: displacement, turbochargers or all-wheel drive to beat its lofty performance. But none deliver on the visual promise of pleasure, performance and elegance like the Aston.

When it comes to V-12 sports cars, it’s an exclusive and expensive club, for a reason. The V-12 is mechanically pure and in the Aston drives a buttery slick 6-speed transaxle wrapped around an aggressive limited-slip differential. It is a package that has tantalized us for decades and is typically reserved for the rarest of GT cars. That it’s stuffed into the little Vantage is an outstanding trick that tickles my fancy, whether ogling the car from afar or settling into its properly sporting seats.

From behind the Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel it becomes clear that man controls machine, and the Aston design philosophy is to make the machine a glorious tool to wield. An experience I’d like to enjoy every day.

Data Panel - Download

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Nice test. Love the Vette! Looks like it was opted for the ZO7 and CFZ packages, looks good.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Dear 8lbs. 6oz. baby Christmas Jesus,

Please use your baby Jesus power to deliver a white with black interior 911 Turbo S to my garage in time for the holidays. I appreciate your help, and enjoy your birthday.

Regards,

Your humble servant FYRARMS

·
Southern MD Stig
798 Posts
Yet ANOTHER, all inclusive/detailed road test where a Z06 is put against the 'latest from the greatest' and beats ALL oncomers where it counts....at half the cost* People underestimate all the technology that GM put into the chassis and production of the Z06 line, until it keeps showing itself on the track. Wow......

*Honestly, IMO 90% of the handling gain came from GM simply getting rid of the standard "Runcraps" they came with. That chassis is a world beater with the engine to go with it.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Yet ANOTHER, all inclusive/detailed road test where a Z06 is put against the 'latest from the greatest' and beats ALL oncomers where it counts....at half the cost* People underestimate all the technology that GM put into the chassis and production of the Z06 line, until it keeps showing itself on the track. Wow......

*Honestly, IMO 90% of the handling gain came from GM simply getting rid of the standard "Runcraps" they came with. That chassis is a world beater with the engine to go with it.
+1

I just have a piddly ole C5 and I can tell you ditching the runflat tires and going with BFG KDW2s makes a HUGE difference in handling. Putting that crap on the car really waters down the performance. And personally I don't see a point to using them at all. I've had two nails in my tires and you can drive on it like that for quite some time before going to get it fixed for free at Discount Tire.

-Alex

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yup and the the car has better tires from what I remember. 1.06g says a lot.
The tires are much better but the ZR1 still uses runflat tires.

What I dont understand is that every magazine test seems to be different. Motortrend put the Turbo S against the ZR1 at Button Willow and the ZR1 just edged it out. Excellence Mag put the Zr1 vs the GT2 at Infineon and the ZR1 just wins. But in this test the ZO6 edges out the Turbo S. I dont know a lot about these tracks but Id love to know what the differences are.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I agree. I'm still impressed with the Z06.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Interesting. The 911 is hands down a better straight line performer and wins lateral grip. But when transitioning in the slalom and race track, it looses its edge.

The slight loss in slalom and race track could be from drivers uncomfortable with Porsche's rearward weight bias.

If it came down to numbers, make mine the Z06. Better handling, better transitioning. With a supercharger kit, you can easily improve numbers in the straights.

For normal everyday driving, make mine the Aston.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
When the GTR slaughtered the 911 Turbo when it came out, just imagine how much more impressive THAT car will be with the upgraded power. Can't wait for those numbers.

-Alex

·
Registered
3,326 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup and the the car has better tires from what I remember. 1.06g says a lot.
The tires are much better but the ZR1 still uses runflat tires.

What I dont understand is that every magazine test seems to be different. Motortrend put the Turbo S against the ZR1 at Button Willow and the ZR1 just edged it out. Excellence Mag put the Zr1 vs the GT2 at Infineon and the ZR1 just wins. But in this test the ZO6 edges out the Turbo S. I dont know a lot about these tracks but Id love to know what the differences are.
Z06 also uses run-flat tires (Michelin Pilot Sport ZP)

ZP = Zero Pressure - Max Performance Summer run-flat tire

Interesting. The 911 is hands down a better straight line performer and wins lateral grip. But when transitioning in the slalom and race track, it looses its edge.

The slight loss in slalom and race track could be from drivers uncomfortable with Porsche's rearward weight bias.

If it came down to numbers, make mine the Z06. Better handling, better transitioning. With a supercharger kit, you can easily improve numbers in the straights.

For normal everyday driving, make mine the Aston.
I don't want to come up with excuses, but here's a test from C&D where a non "s" turbo is almost 3s faster than the turbo "s" and both are running on Bridgestone RE050A.

Optional tires are available at no cost if noted before they deliver the car which is Michelin PS Cup and comes as standard on GT2/GT3.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Z06 also uses run-flat tires (Michelin Pilot Sport ZP)

ZP = Zero Pressure - Max Performance Summer run-flat tire

I don't want to come up with excuses, but here's a test from C&D where a non "s" turbo is almost 3s faster than the turbo "s" and both are running on Bridgestone RE050A.

Optional tires are available at no cost if noted before they deliver the car which is Michelin PS Cup and comes as standard on GT2/GT3.

Even more interesting.

:confused:

Wonder what the factor is that's creating the difference between Turbo S and Turbo?

·
Southern MD Stig
798 Posts
Now hear's the scary part, there are *multiple* tuners whom have 600+rwhp head/cam packages for the LS7 Z06's. And for the uninformed, we're talking about a 3100lb car with an instantanous throttle response & torque 600-630rwhp in an everyday 93oct, N/A turn-key reliable package.. (only $9K INSTALLED:nervous:)

Livernois Motorsports, Cartek, and QM have all achieved 140+MPH trap speeds and 9-sec 1/4mile times with their run-of-mill Z06 bolt-on head/cam/headers/etc packages... stock block & bottom ends. For a GTR or MKIV Supra to even comes close to that their turbo package/set-ups are designed so large (1000HP) that they're no longer response/competitve on anything other than a straightline (no road courses).

If one wanted to, they could purchase a new-like low mileage 06-07 Z06, simply throw on Michellin PS2 or DOT cup tires, and a $9K 600+rwhp head/cam package... and you'd have a package that could go toe-to-toe (if not beat outright) the most extreme super-exotics at any price on any track... You gotta admit, that's pretty cool... ;)

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
If one wanted to, they could purchase a new-like low mileage 06-07 Z06, simply throw on Michellin PS2 or DOT cup tires, and a $9K 600+rwhp head/cam package... and you'd have a package that could go toe-to-toe (if not beat outright) the most extreme super-exotics at any price on any track
Hell, even a modded C5Z makes a badass exotic-slayer. A member here has a TFS-headed 427" stroker being built for his right now. I hear it has an extra 200hp of juice in the trunk, too. Rumor has it that he is a moderator around here...

:hide:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hell, even a modded C5Z makes a badass exotic-slayer. A member here has a TFS-headed 427" stroker being built for his right now. I hear it has an extra 200hp of juice in the trunk, too. Rumor has it that he is a moderator around here...
:hide:
OH SNAPS... When did this happen? I know you mentioned getting in to a C5Z.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Wow at the Porsche's acceleration numbers! 0-60 in 2.6s and the 1/4 mile in 10.7!!!
Holy crap! I missed that 10.7 @ 128 time! Thats sick! They can't be serious about that 11.9 time for the Z06 though, when multiple owners are in the 10's on bone stock tires.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts