Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dominicano
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am rebuilding a r154 and I'm having some issues with the first gear assembly as far the syncros always being engaged on it. I noticed that there's a space between the Synchro hub and the actual first gear... is this space normal or should it be pressed all the way onto the gear

Attachments

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
that looks like how it should be. theres slim chance the two separated from when they were originally pressed together by toyota. that first gear looks like mine from when i bent the snapring that holds the 1-2 hub on. hint don't slam into 2nd and dump the clutch with sticky tires after you loose momentum missing a shift lol. the thrust surface is marred from something either way. you should knock out those pieces in the oil grove with a old screwdriver. dont use a chisel as you don't want to cut into it. then lightly sand the thrust surface with some emery cloth. basically debur it. im guessing the other side is marred too so do the same. a new thrust washer might be a good idea too if its marred or flip it so it has a good side for the gear to ride on. once its all pressed back together check the thrust clearance for first and hopefully itll be ok. i broke my trans about this time last year did i described and its been good since! fixed for 3 dollars hahaa you can look through my old threads to find the post if you want :D

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
Actually it does look like it separated some found and pic of my output shaft you can see there isn't a gap on first.

Sorry for the double post pic was on my phone.

Attachments

·
7M Fanatic
3,266 Posts
That doesn't look right at all. Toyota would NEVER make anything with a press fit, that didn't but up tight to a machined shoulder.
Looks like it got hot, which could allow the press fit to back off, and cause your problem.
Needs a new thrust washer for sure.
One of the weakest points in the R.
And the surface that it sits on can't just be sanded down a little, and hope it's going to hold up.
That surface can only work if it's perfectly flat.
Maybe, just maybe, after the syncro is pressed back into place, that surface can be put in a lathe, and trued up, but I kind of doubt it unless someone makes you a custom thrust washer that is thicker by the same amount that the gear is shortened to clean up the surface.

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
That doesn't look right at all. Toyota would NEVER make anything with a press fit, that didn't but up tight to a machined shoulder.
Looks like it got hot, which could allow the press fit to back off, and cause your problem.
Needs a new thrust washer for sure.
One of the weakest points in the R.
And the surface that it sits on can't just be sanded down a little, and hope it's going to hold up.
That surface can only work if it's perfectly flat.
Maybe, just maybe, after the syncro is pressed back into place, that surface can be put in a lathe, and trued up, but I kind of doubt it unless someone makes you a custom thrust washer that is thicker by the same amount that the gear is shortened to clean up the surface.
well thats what i did to mine and its held up great!

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?945698-Epic-race-against-a-2015-supercharged-zo6&highlight=

1 - 7 of 7 Posts