Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
R154 Rebuild Fail SOLVED: 1st and Reverse only, NO Neutral

SOLVED: Page 2

Ok, So I just finished Rebuilding my R154 with a Marlin Crawler Rebuild kit.

Before I put the case back together;

-the input and output shafts spun freely in neutral.
-bench shifting was a little sticky but I thought It was because there was no oil
-all gears functioned normally

However I put the intermediate and extention housings on, installed the C's Short Shifter (MAD JDM BALLER YO) and now;

-When in neutral the output and input shafts spin at the same time (FAIL)
-The transmission BARELY goes into 1st and Reverse (More FAIL)
-When in 1st and Reverse output and input shaft WILL NOT spin. I even put the clutch disk on for more torque but to no avail... (Oddles of FAIL)

I know I will have to take it apart again but I am at a lose even for where to start.

Help?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any Ideas?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its in the tail shaft housing, if you don't get the forks lined up when you slide the housing back on it will 'lock' the trans. Its also easy to do even lined up if you shove housing on. You need to slightly wiggle it so that the guide rod slides in nice and easily and doesn't push one of the forks forward. Make sure you remove the ball and spring thats on the right side of the trans, is at a 45* angle and you need a star to take out the bolt.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah you def missed something putting things back together. Did you use vaseline on the little pins and balls? One it keeps them in place and it also helps them move. I think you may one of those square lockers not installed right.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Replies!

I took of the tail housing today and still no neutral.

So I took off the bearing retainer that attaches to the front of the intermediate housing and Voila! I have neutral again...

So I just backed away slowly went inside, had a beer and here I am... Weird

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah you def missed something putting things back together. Did you use vaseline on the little pins and balls? One it keeps them in place and it also helps them move. I think you may one of those square lockers not installed right.
Which Square lockers?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump For Stumped!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sure do.
I followed it for clearances and torque specs as well as procedure

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK so I took off the front bearing retainer and re assembled the rest of the transmission (Extension housing and shift assembly) and the transmission shifted fine through all gears and neutral worked perfectly but if i put the front bearing retainer on and hand tightened the bolts. Same problem. Only goes into first and reverse and will not turn. Also There is no neutral
HELP!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm thinking maybe a gear or bearing isn't in the right position on one of the shafts. There's just so many parts that one missing or incorrectly installed part can mess everything else up. Maybe take some pics and post them. Maybe I can see something.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Mine was locked/stuck in reverse after I installed/ran. Shifted fine on the bench. Been travelling alot, so took to the local MKIII guru and he found that a couple of the locking balls weren't moving freely as they should, worn out a bit, or somehow getting stuck. Replaced 'em and said it should be fine now, so I'll see once I reinstall in a few weeks. I'd make sure that you measure everything you can and take lots of pics (especially so that we can see where you're at and compare). All of my pics are in the zip file linked below. Feel free to DL and compare. Hope it helps.

www.g099521.net/pics/R154Rebuild.zip

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking maybe a gear or bearing isn't in the right position on one of the shafts. There's just so many parts that one missing or incorrectly installed part can mess everything else up. Maybe take some pics and post them. Maybe I can see something.
I doubt a gear could be in the wrong position because the main and counter shafts when back together just fine. Also the whole assembly functions fine then the extension and intermediate housings are bolted together.
I will take some pics when i get back to town

Mine was locked/stuck in reverse after I installed/ran. Shifted fine on the bench. Been travelling alot, so took to the local MKIII guru and he found that a couple of the locking balls weren't moving freely as they should, worn out a bit, or somehow getting stuck. Replaced 'em and said it should be fine now, so I'll see once I reinstall in a few weeks. I'd make sure that you measure everything you can and take lots of pics (especially so that we can see where you're at and compare). All of my pics are in the zip file linked below. Feel free to DL and compare. Hope it helps.
www.g099521.net/pics/R154Rebuild.zip
How did yours bench shift before you installed?

Link does not work I would be interested to see that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Satan, It has not been installed yet. If i manually turn the shaft and shift through without the bearing retainer it works fine. If i put the retainer on and finger tighten just two bolts of it it ceases to work. I loosen the bolts and hand rotate it, It works! so I dont think its something that worked fine then went wrong because I can make it work or not work and back to work but installing or removing one peice.

I was doing some reading, I am away for training now but could it perhaps be this step of the TSRM causing me these problems?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shameless Bump

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did you install the snaprings behind the Front bearing retainer?

We had the same problem when my friend forgot the snaprings and did´nt pull out the bearings thru the housing completely. It made a bad noise to when trying to spin and gears hardly worked.

Did u align all the forks where the shiftfork goes in?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Double check on the snap rings,

I think the forks line up because it DOES shift when the bearing retainer is not installed

Did you install the snaprings behind the Front bearing retainer?

We had the same problem when my friend forgot the snaprings and did´nt pull out the bearings thru the housing completely. It made a bad noise to when trying to spin and gears hardly worked.

Did u align all the forks where the shiftfork goes in?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Double check on the snap rings,

I think the forks line up because it DOES shift when the bearing retainer is not installed

Did u swap any bearings that maybe should be aligned? We changed one of the bearings and had some probs getting it back in the exact same spot!
It would have put a stress on the axle that fucked up everything if we wouldnt have noticed it. It had to be pushed down with 20Tons of raw power ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts