Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was sent to me and i"m posting here as a FYI I was told they do good work anyone else know?

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/
We gathered some information regarding your transmission.

I really would like to see the original transmission apart so I can properly diagnose the problems that your having and address them accordingly, although I realize that will be hard.

I will explain to you what we can do to strengthen the R154 transmission.
The first thing to note is that there are some reasonable cores available in my area, so it's not a problem if you need one.

Completly overhauling the trans consists of :
All bearings are changed to H.D. replacments.
All thrust washers are replaced with metal ones.
All end clearances and bearing preloads are set to tighter than stock specifications (this will aid in preventing syncro failure).
We replace all syncros and blocking ring assemblies. (At this time there is no suitable performance aftermarket syncros
available for this particular unit).
We replace all shifter rail bushings and replace any shift forks and damaged parts, as required
We completly re-seal entire unit (gaskets,seals etc.)
The complete overhaul for this unit, including the core, will be about $1650.
If you have any further questions you can email us or call us at (973)827-9946 EST.

Regards, Brad

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
nice...

i like the R154 :). it's just too fragile...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thats a pretty penny to dump into something if it turns out to suck. Hell, if they offer warranties on their work, I say why not?

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,172 Posts
They are close to me as well. I am going to talk to them about possible doing one of my R154 carcasses, but I can't see spending that much money for a trans I am probably gonna break. We'll see what kinda price they offer with my core.

I might try and rebuild it myself. I found a master rebuild kit for 280. Hopefully I can rebuild one better than the piece of crap used R154s I have been buying up. I have a lot of tools including a press, maybe I can make due without breaking the bank on SST's. Maybe with that laundry list of things to do from importperforamncetrans on the R154 I can even come out with one that'll last.

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
Boostin88T said:
Ask Steve Vitek, he's sponsored by IPT. They did a shift kit on his automatic.
Steve Vitek has relocated to FL, I don't know if he's still sponsored by IPT

G

·
anyone actually tried this place yet? looking into getting mine rebuilt. just looking for someone who knows if its worth the 1600$

thanks

G

·
Heh, the thrust washer's are already metal.

All in all though it doesn't sound like that bad of a price when you consider what the Toyota bearings cost, along with all the other parts. Price it all out, you'll fall over.

·
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well it cost me 1000 cdn form a local shop to bulid my trans...

they ended up making a trust washer out of gear material as they said... cost me about 100 bucks... seems to be holding up so far but I haven't shifted hard on it still...

seems that i always kill 3rd gear..

·
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah... haha.. I drive the car... and break things... I don't pussy around on the car like alot of guys do...

No messin around when I mash on the gas ;)

Man I wish I had boost for that EVO.. lol that would have been fun to rape him

·
Registered
233 Posts
You probably keep breaking the aluminum shifter fork Eric. I'm thinking about making some out of stainless so they don't break as easy. That's the only "weak" thing I know of in the R-154. As for that cost, that seems high to me, considering that master rebuild kit mentioned already. Where is that anyway, joliroger4
?

·
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey John,

what actually broke on my second transmission was the bearings. I believe the one on 5th gear broke, and the front main (around the imput shaft) broke..

I'm not sure how but it seems what keeps nuking are the bearings.. I dont know how.. but thats what's happning... on the first Trans.. that thing completely exploded... bearings, thrust washer, gears.... it was a mess.

Never broke a shifter fork though.. never that hard on it.

G

·
I am an uneducated hillbilly, at least as far as transmissions are concerned, but could this possibly be an issue of the tranny case twisting under load? I admit, I read about this in sport compact car, so please, feel free to laugh at me, but if the case isn't torsionally rigid, it could cause alignment issues with bearings and gears, causing aformentioned explosion. Ok, commence with laughing and derogatory ricer jokes!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts