Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an IS300 and it's almost a consensus on the is300.net boards that the r154 has a bad shift quality feel as compared to the w58 or w55.

Instead of hearsay, I'm looking for feedback directly from the supra owners. How do you like your r154?

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
I have an IS300 and it's almost a consensus on the is300.net boards that the r154 has a bad shift quality feel as compared to the w58 or w55.

Instead of hearsay, I'm looking for feedback directly from the supra owners. How do you like your r154?
what kind of fluid do you use in your r154? that makes a difference too...

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
since the r154 is more of a performance tranny its going to shift a little "klunky". try shifting a stock getrag...esp. with an aftermarket clutch. the w58 and related trannys are smooth because they are more of a driving tranny not made to hold much power. more power=bigger/often heavier parts=more difficult shift...maybe that explains some. personally i dont notice much of a difference between the three transmissions, but i drive a variety of 5/6 speeds in trucks and diesels so im used to it. the old 4runners are probably the worst trans. ive ever used...and the celica GT4's imo. honda and mitsu always shift smooth (but now im getting of topic).

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't have a r154. I have a W55 in the car and a W58 in my garage ready to go in but I'm still looking for higher HP options.

The r154 is said to have "a sloppy shifter"?? I don't mind the klunky so much as an inaccurate/sloppy shifter.

Can anyone compare/contrast the r154 vs v160?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
iv owned a 1jz mk3 with an r154 and that tranny is stiff. but its built like that to be able to take the abuse...the stock w58 sucks im my honest opinon if ur going turbo...the v160...well what can i say about that tranny...its also built to take the abuse...

·
Registered
185 Posts
firstly when it comes to performance there's is no competition between the r154 and w58. as previously stated the r154 is built to take abuse, the w58 isn't.

also , there really is no comparison between the r154 and v160. the v160 is way out of its league and in a whole different price range....

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
usually I wouldn't respond to 4 year old but posts but since no one answered correctly.

The older transmission with the swan neck shifters like the MK3 W58/R154 & Early Soarer W58/R154 have bad shift feel. The late model transmissions with the external tripod shifter have good feel like the MK4 W58/V160/V161, late Soarer W58/R154, Chaser R154, IS300 W55 etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
my w58 shifts real smooth, but as everyone is saying they suck if you wanna make power...think about the long term road ahead and go with a tranny that will take abuse and last when you add power to the car...v160 all the way but if your like me and wanna save a buck do the r154. I highly doubt you will be daily driving the car anyways.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My W58 felt a lot smoother than my R154. Don't get me wrong, I love the R154, and it is most certainly not sloppy. I would even say it has a solid "notchy" feeling when shifting. I am also running MT90 oil and have a MC shifter socket and bushing. I have a v160 sitting in my garage so I'll be able to give a comparison soon hopefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts