Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a video of someone with a 7M/R154 and noticed they had a part that I didn't recognize. Looked at the parts diagram and they are "stiffener plates". 33118 in the first pic below.
I took a look under my car where they should be and I don't have them on my 1JZ/R154 swap.

I took a look at my 7M-GE on the stand and sure enough, there are these 2 plates on the engine and they would bolt onto the trans.

So my questions are
1) Do I need stiffener plates for a 1JZ/R154? Mine is a VVTi so originally out of a Chaser. I tried to look at pics online at the JDM importer website to see how they look, and it doesn't appear so...But I want to be extra sure...
2) in relation to above....Are these plates needed for extra stability/security since these are heavy engines?
3) Do I need the clutch housing cover? (the half moon shaped flat piece) I don't have one installed in my swap. I do have 1 of the 2 inspection covers which I will be fixing but I don't have the half moon looking piece at all or the one that came with my old setup doesn't fit.

Organism Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram

Schematic Font Parallel Handwriting Circle

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
682 Posts
The housing cover on JZ's go on the engine side of the bellhousing. They're all rubber and shaped differently. I recently ordered mine from a dealership. I suggest having one to prevent debris from getting into your clutch housing.
90950-01809

1 - 2 of 2 Posts