Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, im about to install an r154 into my BPU mkiv. I'm aware they're a very tough gearbox with the exception of their cast thrust washer.

My gearbox is only a few days away and i plan on pulling it to bits and having the thrust washer 'problem' sorted once and for all.

I understand i can get a tougher washer made up from chromoly or whatever is recommended, but is there a better way? like some sort of thrust bearing?

Is the chromoly washer really proven to be much stronger than the stock cast washer? Is there anywhere i can buy a chromoly replacement part?

I just want this gearbox to be as tough as it should be. The car will eventually be running a small single (500ish rwhp) and a tilton triple plate clutch. Though i dont intend on ever running slicks.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give me

Gene

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
first off

how do you know chormemoly is tougher as there has never been a rockwell hardness test done on the thrust washer? With getting a hardness test done. It is a wild guess.

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,950 Posts
Crhis osfast7m had one made thicker and stronger....so im osofast7m and he will tell ya where to get that thrust washer he had custom made. on't know the material its made of.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
gmacrea

my advise talk with IJ. over int he other boards. We went over this in depth. I will disagree with Qwikstrike as again without knowing what metal we are dealing with and how strong it actually is.

·
5,950 Posts
figgie said:
gmacrea

my advise talk with IJ. over int he other boards. We went over this in depth. I will disagree with Qwikstrike as again without knowing what metal we are dealing with and how strong it actually is.
I undsersand your point figgie but you are way ahead of yourself. I don't know what the material is and neither do you, so how can you make a valid reccomendation yea or nea until YOU get word exactly what osofast7m is using.

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks QWIKSTRIKE AND figgie- ill get in touch with those two you mentioned, figgie; which other boards are you talking about? turbosupras.com?

Gene

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
I undsersand your point figgie but you are way ahead of yourself. I don't know what the material is and neither do you, so how can you make a valid reccomendation yea or nea until YOU get word exactly what osofast7m is using.

that simple

if we don't have a starting line how can you get to the finish not knowing what the race is?

Hell we mulled over this and we figured as to WHY it was breaking (load put on by the helical gears on the thrust washer) which there was a couple of ways to fix without even knowing the Hardness of the thrust washer.

the first one that everyone agreed upon, reduce friction. Molybendium coating or some other coating that can live at high pressure. 2nd Active lubrication of the area was another one that was also mentioned but in the end we wanted to know the rockwell hardness but one person that was supposed to do it never did. :/

·
5,950 Posts
figgie said:
that simple

if we don't have a starting line how can you get to the finish not knowing what the race is?

Hell we mulled over this and we figured as to WHY it was breaking (load put on by the helical gears on the thrust washer) which there was a couple of ways to fix without even knowing the Hardness of the thrust washer.

the first one that everyone agreed upon, reduce friction. Molybendium coating or some other coating that can live at high pressure. 2nd Active lubrication of the area was another one that was also mentioned but in the end we wanted to know the rockwell hardness but one person that was supposed to do it never did. :/

Ok so..still finding out what osofast did would not be a bad idea. You can't say someting won't work before you know what it is Figgie. It's like having the answer to a question, or a test only to find out afterwards that the questions you thought were gonna be asked are different! Wisdom teaches me to find all of the facts before conclusively answering, qouldn't you agree?

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
QWIKSTRIKE said:
Ok so..still finding out what osofast did would not be a bad idea. You can't say someting won't work before you know what it is Figgie. It's like having the answer to a question, or a test only to find out afterwards that the questions you thought were gonna be asked are different! Wisdom teaches me to find all of the facts before conclusively answering, qouldn't you agree?

agreed

but then the questions from me and everyone that went through this becomes

has it been inspected after install (yes yes I know disassebly of tranny)? Has the tranny been dragged or ragged on however it was before the intial failure? If not unfortuntly that test has to happen to check for survivalbility. Any modification to the thrsut washer design (instead of that one hole through the diameter of the thrust washer). Coatings? etc :)

BTW FYI also

some quick and dirty math showed that the thrust washer at a drag launch of 5500 rpm with 10 psi of boost will see rought about 200,000 psi at that thrust washer (worthless helical gears!). If I recall I think it was flubyx that stated he was looking into straight cut gear at least for first gear to address the thrust washer longevity issue.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
My chyrotreated one has lasted 2 years now with me beating it to pieces. I am very impressed with the process. Before that I could not powershift the car for many passes before something broke.
I am running a stock thrust washer with redline fluids. My sixty foots are 1.90 to 1.79s depending on track conditions.

·
5,950 Posts
Mike 92LX said:
My chyrotreated one has lasted 2 years now with me beating it to pieces. I am very impressed with the process. Before that I could not powershift the car for many passes before something broke.
I am running a stock thrust washer with redline fluids. My sixty foots are 1.90 to 1.79s depending on track conditions.

Hey Mike whats poppin, I think Osofast had his cryotreated as well!

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
oh so it is only cryotreated and still on stock thrust washer or new thrust washer was machined?

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
figgie said:
oh so it is only cryotreated and still on stock thrust washer or new thrust washer was machined?
I second that, did you cryotreat a new stock cast thrust washer Mike?

·
5,950 Posts
figgie said:

I think osofast had it cusom made and cryotreated. It cost like 200.00 to get it done if I remember correctly.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
There's a shop out there that has a needle bearing sandwhich between 2 flat washers. These 3 pieces equal the same thickness as the stock washer.

I've yet to here if it's been used or not. I was told they wanted me to the gineau pig for it, but I'd have to beat on the car for them. i typicalyl don't beat on the car as much as they wanted me to.

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
aljordan said:
There's a shop out there that has a needle bearing sandwhich between 2 flat washers. These 3 pieces equal the same thickness as the stock washer.

I've yet to here if it's been used or not. I was told they wanted me to the gineau pig for it, but I'd have to beat on the car for them. i typicalyl don't beat on the car as much as they wanted me to.
Thats something id like to hear more about, what is the name of this shop?

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
I am running a stock washer treated. The rest of the combo is Nittos drag radials,carbon fiber drivershaft,RPS aluminum flywheel and semi soldi motor mounts.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts