Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
il faut voir pour savoir
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate just learned that you can bolt the R154 tranny out of a 1986.5-1992 Supra Turbo onto a dakota bell housing which in turn can be bolted onto a mopar small block. I wasn't sure where to ask, so mods please move this if you see fit. :)

I just wanted to know general information - how much would it cost to buy one, how much power it can hold, and where to buy one? Thanks so much!!

-Ryan

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
R154s go for around $250-$400 used, depending on condition and location/warranty. It is a pretty beefy transmission, with the exception of the 1st gear thrust washer. Best I can tell, the thrust washer is failing from having the lube pinched out from between it and first gear under higher that stock (2-3+ times higher than stock (stock = 254ft/lbs of torque)) thrust loads. I've dumped some Redline "shockproof heavy" gear oil in mine and haven't had any trouble.

The for sale section would be a good place to look for an R154 for sale ;) .

·
Registered
247 Posts
i have no idea if you can bolt them into a dakota bellhousing or what.

but anyways from my research they can hold upwards of 500RWHP fine except obviously you will need a better clutch. you can find them on ebay all the time, or junkyards, or on these forums. used they can go for 200-500 dollars depending on whos selling it.

im sure others will chime in with their opinions. in the meantime, search the forums and you will find a good deal of information on these transmissions.

EDIT: chevyeater beat me to it haha. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts