Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I have been doing a little more research, and also peoples suggestions kind of lead me a little to research the correct things.

Not sure if I would care for the T56 though. The double over drive seems kind of a waste. But then again, the taller 1-5 means for a better pull, but that all depends on your rear end and the power band of the engine.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Look into the Bellhousing adaptor and take some careful measurements it's NOT a drop in with the T56..

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,941 Posts
Going trmec or t56 is too bad an idea if you can afford it. the longer gear ratio will load the turbo in 1st gear and if needed the rear can be changed to a 4.10 or 430 rear for off the line power

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
T56 is too wide for the tunnel in a Mk3 but no idea on a gs300 (I'd guess the same)
The Front of the Box where a normal Bellhousing would bolt on doesn't lend itself to an adaptor so you'd have to use an adaptor bolted to the block that uses the T56 bellhousing....

All in all just not worth the effort as the cheap easy to find 56's have terrible ratios for a 3.0L 6.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would just use the TH400 GM adaptor, and of course some other customization would probably be necessary.

Why you think the gear ratio would be bad? If you compare it to a R154, with the exception of 1st gear, the 4.6 mustang t56 is very similar to that of the R154, and 1st gear in the R154 in my opinion is too low anyway, especially on a big turbo.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
They do a trans with really good ratios but it's hard to find the garden variety has the 2.66 first from memory.

You'd want one of the 2.97 1st gear boxes as the 3.36 box has a very low Tq rating. (a healthy turbo motor will tear it to pieces in days)

The extension housing is very wide back between the seats and I didn't want to hack into the structure to make it fit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is there someone building the adaptor now?

You would just use the TH400 GM adaptor, and of course some other customization would probably be necessary.

Why you think the gear ratio would be bad? If you compare it to a R154, with the exception of 1st gear, the 4.6 mustang t56 is very similar to that of the R154, and 1st gear in the R154 in my opinion is too low anyway, especially on a big turbo.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Welll, if there is a TH400 adaptor, than you can use that adaptor with the t56 as long as the T56 uses a GM bellhousing. Not sure about lenght though, it could possibly make the input shaft too short. I havn't looked into that yet.

2.97 1st gear would be just fine for me.

I don't have a T56 in front of me to see how well it would fit, but yes, that could be a problem.

With that said, what about the TKO? It is only a 5 speed, but is much stronger than the R154, and even the V160. I think they have a smaller tail.

V160's are rated at 360ft/lbs, TKO600 is rated at 600ft/lbs.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
SR: I just pulled the TKO out of my car today ;)

Fits like a glove!

From memory the T56 Ford trans is the one to go for as it has a longer input shaft.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
V160 will take a WHOLE lot more than 360ft/lbs...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts