Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of opinions. Lets get to the points.

Are R4s pads worth the money.
Are the pads better than stock.

Oh yeah 935 i am waiting for your email about your brakes and how i could work out pick up and purchase...

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
WTF is R4's ?? peace

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
R4S pads are Porterfield brake pads. Mr. improved may want to try being a bit more clear on what he wants to know. They are aftermarket and are carbon kevlar pads, therefore they are WAY better than stock. I use them and like them a lot. I have not heard anything negative about them at all.

·
I want to believe
1,536 Posts
Their the porterfield pads. The R4's are for race use and the R4S are more street use. I have the R4S's in the back and I like them...but its the back so I cant really give a good opnion...when I get the up front I'll let you know lol.

Edit: Looks like Trent beat me to it:D

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,259 Posts
I will never use anything.. THey have my vote..

I had KVR's and I couldn't STOP for 1000 KM.. I couldn't even lock the breaks up!

The poterfields are absolutely amazing.. no fading and amazing stopping power.

G

·
I will never use anything else but Porterfield RS4s. People try and spend less with Hawk ebc Green kvr performance friction apex, but they get what they paid for.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No email

Hey 935 i still didn't get an email about how i would just go and pick up the rotors and pads i need an adderess...do i just go and pay there or do i have to pay before i go.

Thanks.

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
my R4S pads dust like a mofo!

Other than that? I LOVE THEM! add a set of steel braided brake lines and some quality brake fluid... YUMMY!

KeithH

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Odd, my KVR's work great, I've got KVR pads and rotors. I can very easily make ABS kick in (I.E. lock up the tires). Did you guys use KVR pads on stock rotors or what?

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
My R4S pads wore a deep groove into both rotors along the outer edge of the inside braking surface. They were brand new Brembo rotors, & this occurred aftr ~3mnths of use. The damage was in the exact same spot on both sides of the car.

I took the pads back to Porterfield [I'm local], & showed them the parts & they could not explain the issue. So, they ground the pads flat, & I tried them again on a 2nd set of new Brembo rotors...same problem.

Aftr that, I turned the 2nd set of rotors, & used stock pads. The rear R4Ss have worked fine, & they're still there. I can't believe that I'm the only one who's seen this occur.

·
12,259 Posts
Bishop92T said:
Odd, my KVR's work great, I've got KVR pads and rotors. I can very easily make ABS kick in (I.E. lock up the tires). Did you guys use KVR pads on stock rotors or what?
After 1000 they where not bad at all but the first 1000 was very scary..

Same rotors i have on now.. I think they are powerstop?

Not sure they came with the car but I sill never warped them.

·
12,259 Posts
Larry.. not a single problem on mine..

Infact my KVR had the waring of a line in my rotors.. there was I guess a peice of metal in the pad compound that wasn't broken up enough and worse a huge grove in the center of my rotor.

I was absolutely pissed off.

·
Bipolar
663 Posts
Never had a problem with the KVRs. Did the pads, stainless lines and new OEM rotors at the same time, very impressed, significant improvement overall, no problems, very little dusting, no rotor damage, and after a year I have more then 80% pad left. The price is right too.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I originally bought KVR's b/c they were the cheapest I could find that weren't stock. When I first installed them they wore the rotors a bit rough, but within a few hundred miles the rotors were smooth. Stopping was never affected, better stopping power then stock. They produce very little dust, although one time on a hard high speed stop I thought I saw some clouds of dust flying past me :) Very little dust appears on the rims anyway, I really like that feature.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Larry, I had the same problem, exept I tried some Metal Master pads with my new Brembo ft rotors. They sqeeled like mad and dusted like crazy. So I ordered some KVR's and when I went to change them I saw a deep groove on the inside at the top of the rotor, I dont know why it happens, does anyone have any ideas?.

I like my KVR's, they havent faded on me yet. The only thing is they squeek a little when they are cold, but when they warm up they are great.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bishop92T said:
I installed them with the brembo cross dirilled / slotted rotors.
At about 700 miles of breaking them in I was going about 80+ and had to slam on the brakes for a light. I did not feel the brakes kicking in at all, it scared the crap out of me! I thought I was either gonna lock them up ( no ABS) and come sliding through the intersection or they just weren't going to stop in time (even though I had a lot of room). They didn't lock up even, but magically I made it to a stop before I got to the intersection.

So far they work decent, but I still don't think they are as good as my friend hyped them up to be.

·
Registered
249 Posts
TRD HPZ PADS

hey i bought two sets of them on ebay... they are trds race pads.... not talkin about the hp but the hpz is the best pads trd made for the mk3 supra... but they do not last long at alll. they are good for the first couple of months but thats about it... all my pads are like that... i tried trd hp, kvr's, and axxiss metal masters.
All suck after 3 months... either that or i am really hard on my brakes which i am but they dont seem to wanna stop after a while... and ohh i got slotted and cross drilled rotors. mayb i give rs4 are try... anyone else ttry trd hpz?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts