Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been trying to get a shop to build something like this for months. Couldn't find a place. Then Steve Hayes revealed he made one for his car. He said it made the car have a incredible turbine whistle, the sound we know and love. Said the whistle was louder than the rumble! For me, that lit the fire under my ass and I'm gonna make one.

I'm going to fabricate one, and have it duplicated. Since I can get 10 made at once and save some bucks per unit, I figured I'd ask if anyone else was interested in one.

Basically all you run is a downpipe (no cat-back), that goes from the turbo and down, and exits pointing outwards just behind the front passenger side tire. It would be 3.5" diameter. Offer near zero restriction well past 1000RWHP. HP gains would be similar or maybe slightly better than going the full 4" exhaust path. Depending on what exhaust you currently run, it would save you 70-20lbs off the weight of the car.

Just a guess, but if you wrapped the whole thing in header wrap, the exhaust temp may be so high at the exit that at night you would have a blue blow torch shooting out the side at WOT.

Attached is a photo of Steve's car, which shows what it will look like from the outside.

Yes, it will be loud, but the whistle will be a big part of that, which to me is a good thing. There are ways to reduce the sound, like the insert mufflers Dynatech makes for only $60, and can slip in and out in just a few seconds: Vortex Cone Muffler.

So, anyone want one? They would be priced pretty cheap, I'm guessing $250.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I thought about doing that quite a long time ago but just thought it wasn't feasible with clearence issues. It looks awesome, but what do you think about clearence?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,783 Posts
Yeah, WTF ... I'm in for $250, however, I too am concerned about the clearence, looks like it would scrape...often.

So, would this be a whole new downpipe from the turbo down? Or just an extention that bolts to the bottom of our current DP?

Feel free to build one to mount to my T88H ;)

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Off a greddy header... you can use our 3.5" midpipe and another piece to make a 2 piece that would exit out there:)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had one on my car about 3 years ago. The only thing I might recommend is using a round to oval pipe adapter for clearance issues. Burns Stainless has these but I bet they are pretty expensive as Burns always is. I had the oval exiting exactly where you are talking about and it helped with clearance issues getting the car off and on the trailer.

Greg Baker
[email protected]

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'd be interested! Also, guys, this is mainly for a race/dyno application. This would be highly illegal and it's pretty obvious to anyone(including cops) that you're running a straight exhaust. You've got big balls if you run this for any extended period on the street.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,783 Posts
Bah....with that silencer - I'm sure it'll be quiet as stock! HAHAHAA>....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm planning on tucking the pipe closer to the tire than in the pic, and having it point more out than back. Clearance shouldn't be a problem, unless you drive straight off a curb.

The cone muffler is supposed to make a pretty big difference. Certainly won't be quiet, but 2-3x less as intense, supposedly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not just install a cut-out and have the best of both worlds. The only downside is that you would not save weight since the existing exhaust system would still be intact. But thats also a strong selling point because if you do not want the sound of a short, muffler-less exhaust all the time, you can simply cap the cutout and it will be the same as it was before. A cockpit-controlled cut-out (readily available) would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Wouldn't it melt paint or the plastic there? The gases coming out that close will be MUCH hotter than what leaves our tailpipe normally.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why would it melt anything? The hot gasses will be pointed away from the car. The pipe won't terminate until it's clear of the body work.

For sound clips, HELL YEAH. As soon as I have it on the car, I'll take a sound clip. I'll probably have the pipes done long before my car is ready to see the road, so hopefully I can get a local Greddy turbo user to try it out.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Sorry, but that is ugly as hell. It also sounds like shit at anything but WOT under full boost. Just unbolt your cat back and just run open downpipe...It sounds like shit.... Like an old truck. But under WOT it does sound incredible. You can hear the turbo soooo much better though.

But id much rather have mine come out the cat-back, or atleast have a electric cut-out.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The whole pipe will get hot and the gas won't always be leaving at only WOT. Once you stop from a hard run or ten, that pipe'll still be super hot. Anyhow, I still see no reason why it wouldn't be a nice track alternative worst case. It obviously would be a bit loud for most and I'm saying this with my 3.5" DP + 4" HKS Ti. I've herd what open exhausts sound like. They're fun for the first 30 seconds until your ears and sense kick in.

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
... and have the exhaust gases filtering up into the cabin of your car? Not to mention the exhaust temperatures on the undercoating and floorboards.

ScrewDrvr said:
But id much rather have mine come out the cat-back, or atleast have a electric cut-out.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Craig King said:
... and have the exhaust gases filtering up into the cabin of your car? Not to mention the exhaust temperatures on the undercoating and floorboards.
Only time would want to have the cut out open is when i was racing, not sitting still at a red light. So no fuems will ever make there way into the cabin. The temps on the undersided of the car are of no problem. Its not like its sensitive under there. And again, im not going to be making 100 mile trips with the cut-out open.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Personally I wouldnt do that to my car..

the external wastegate dumppipe would look pretty badass throwing flames when it opens.

I have a pic of a Supra with this mod, I'll scan it when I get home.

Krister

1 - 20 of 29 Posts