Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just been doing some reading about methanol systems and just learnt that you can actually mix up to 10% methanol with normal petrol and it will increase octane by approx. 5 points.

You need to increase fuel flow by at least 12.5% to do this.

So has anyone done it?

How does it compare to running unleaded race fuel?

Thanks

Chris

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
are you talking about directly pouring methanol into gasoline? or are you talking about injecting a stream of methanol in addition to gasoline?

if your talking about increasing knock rating (RON) then i suggest toulene over methanol

the most efficient way to increase octane potential with gasoline is to inject a water/methanol/lube mix in addition to gasoline

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am talking about mixing it with petrol in a drum and then putting it into the tank not injecting methanol/water.

(already had a look into meth/water injection)

I used to run a 98RON + 30% toluene mix and it seemed ok but I never tested it fully.

I then did some research and it was found that the bottles of octane boosters are just as good if not better than a toluene mix so I am going to run 100RON plus some Martini racing super boost.

I was reading about this mixing 10% methanol into petrol because of the additional octane but also the additional cylinder cooling effect. Then I was thinking that I could use 100oct mixed with 10% methanol instead.

By the way the 100RON is 2.5% oxygenated as well and has proved make a fair bit more power than the 0% 98RON that I was using.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts