Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to another station (Our station doesnt sell Race gas....yet...:D) and they have 110 LEADED Sunoco. I bought 2 gallons for my dirtbike but im curious how many of you guys use leaded race gas in your cars. Not only for dyno purposes but for street driving too? 110 for $5.59 i didnt think that was all that bad?

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
That is a good price. C16 here is $11/gal.

Assuming your cats are out since lead will kill them, the only downside to running leaded racegas is it will eventually dull the response of your O2 sensor. I'm not sure how long that takes or how much leaded you have to burn, since my original O2 sensor is just starting to get noticeably slow now that it has 90k miles on it and many tanks of leaded racegas. When I got my wideband I went with the NTK O2 sensor since it is the most durable with leaded gas.

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Nick pretty much covered the toll race gas takes on the electrical and emissions components, so I'll leave it at that.

I, too, run leaded 110 90% of the time. But here we have one station that's a little more friendly. They do the same thing every year - $4.15/gal to empty the tank of old stuff, then peak at $4.50/gal for the rest of the summer with the fresh stuff. Now that premium is $3.50+, there's no reason not to! Definately worth it...

·
Boost Junkie
12,636 Posts
Damn, you guys pay a lot for C16. The Sunoco 110 isn't bad fuel, just keep an eye on knock and EGTs.

Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also check online to make sure your wastegate is either lead-safe or where it can be upgraded. For example, Tial's 38mm has to be sent to them for upgrading to handle the lead yet the 44mm does not. Just check to make sure.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, you guys pay a lot for C16. The Sunoco 110 isn't bad fuel, just keep an eye on knock and EGTs.

Steve
that kinda scares me now....i could give two sh1ts when its in my Racebike because its going to make great power and i have no electical to worry about. And i know about the cats and o2 senors but im a little worried about the knock that you said. I shouldnt have any problem with 25psi on a 71Dbb setup should I?

Btw usually the price for their 110, is $4.50ish but because of the gas price increase it went up. My Paretns and I own our own Shell Station but due to not having an extra pump we dont sell race gas. However when we switch over to our new pumps it will free up one of our tanks that would allow us to either go with Race Gas Or E85....not quite sure which route i want to go.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Our 100/110 here is $6 a gallon
VP C16 is $11
Torco 116/118 is $8.50/$9.00 a gallon.

Since you run a gas station, check on being a Torco or VP dealer. There is only one VP dealer that has it at a gas station here. He sells C12 from a pump, and C16 and Import from drums out back. They just pump it into customer containers.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
only problem is i have to get the approval from Shell Headquarters to be able to have someone else's gas on the Property. I have talked to a few guys that are in the business and they are willing to drop off 55 gal drums for my personal use. I think i might go that route, but i do have a lot of people looking for race gases in my area.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So you guys run Sunoco 110 leaded for street use, works well with no problems?

I usually run Sunoco GT+ 104 unleaded for street use 80% of the time but can get the 110 for the same price. I run no cats, just one wideband o2 sensor for my standalone. I might look into switching to 110 as I am tuning a new motor soon and wouldnt mind the extra power.

Also does anyone have info on Torco race fuels? A local station sells their 100 and 110 variant I believe on the pump near me but I have never seen info on the gas. How does it perform compared to the Sunoco or VP fuels? I'm just looking for a gas that will be consistent.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chad find out if your able to have VP import by the drums dropped off there I'm gonna need alot of it!
I just left Terre from VP a long email asking about the proper procedures of bringing some in, we'll see what she says.

Danny What are you looking for C16? You car isnt even running so what do you need that for? but i did ask if we could have barrels dropped off.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That is a good price. C16 here is $11/gal.
Nick where is this place? Do you have a name/number and would you know if they can ship to NY?
NY prices are freaking ridiculous $14+ /gal

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Taimur,
I get it at a local speed shop, K&G in Broomall, PA 610-359-1616. It's on Rt.3 about 1/4mi west of I-476 ...not exactly convenient for L.I. I just called to make sure they didn't sneak in a price increase on me, and in fact as of today they are still selling VP C16 for $11/gal. They have pretty much any grade fuel from 105 unleaded to methanol and nitromethane.

As far as shipping, have you tried to get it directly from VP? If K&G can sell it for $11, VP must sell it for quite a bit less. If you can't buy direct from VP, I'm sure K&G would buy a drum just for you, not sure about shipping it thoug, call them; but you could pick it up I'm sure, I've seen guys take whole drums away. Too bad you're not closer, I'd split a drum with you. Not that it's practical for you, but the guys at K&G also told me that they buy drums of fuel and store it on site for specific customers "private stash" ...once I went to get C16 and they were "out" but had two 55gal drums of it that belonged to somebody else.

PS - alternative idea: together we can order up a 55gal drum for our private stash and have them store it at K&G; you can drive down and pick up half or whatever you can carry back or use it as you need it ...do you have any metal drums to take half of it away? In fact, I think VP sells it in smaller than 55gal drums, maybe you could just buy a smaller drum of it and I'd meet you near Atco to deliver it. Hey, I'm going mental now with streaming video flashbacks ...they sell it at Atco, look on their website under "speedshop and fuel" and call to see how much. Maybe they do that at Englishtown too.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lotta great info ^

i think i might call and see if i can get a few 25 gallon drums instead of a few 50 gal. Because people would be willing to pay for 25 gallons versus 50. Im going to ask about that too!
thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks Nick for the info. I wouldn't drive down for half a drum though not worth it. I'll give them a call and see. Thx again.

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
I pay $6.01 agallon for Sunoco 110 and I bought 2- 5 gallon drums of VP 116 at the NHRA Sport Compact Race in VA a couple of weeks ago at $60.00 a drum.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So you guys run Sunoco 110 leaded for street use, works well with no problems?

I usually run Sunoco GT+ 104 unleaded for street use 80% of the time but can get the 110 for the same price. I run no cats, just one wideband o2 sensor for my standalone. I might look into switching to 110 as I am tuning a new motor soon and wouldnt mind the extra power.

Also does anyone have info on Torco race fuels? A local station sells their 100 and 110 variant I believe on the pump near me but I have never seen info on the gas. How does it perform compared to the Sunoco or VP fuels? I'm just looking for a gas that will be consistent.
dawt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts