Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Performance 1st Looks 5th
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always dreamed of having such a system. When I talked about it in the past allot of people made it sound too "complicated" or impossible. I did not know that such a system existed already. Sorry if its a repost..

http://www.turbomalibu.com/dualfuelsystem.htm

having C16 just when you need it (under boost). No more emptying the gas tank fill up and drive around in expensive C16.

I know it could easily be tied to an AEM EMS. Its working with XFI already so I dont see why not.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
Might be a handy alternative to methanol injection, although doesn't meth/water cool and clean better? Is 25psi the usual limit for meth?

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys...methanol is great stuff...I have it in my GN and my previous Evo...However...it will NEVER touch the potential or the safety margins of C16/Q16.

I know my Evo made at least 100whp more on C16 than on methanol (Tuned by the best..Buschur). I am willing to bet that the gap in performance between C16 and methanol is even larger in Supras. These things just LOVE C16.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
I think for street power, many Supras are limited by traction issues by the time they reach 25psi. Plus I think you can't run a cat with leaded fuel, so you have to live with that exhaust stink all the time.

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think for street power, many Supras are limited by traction issues by the time they reach 25psi. Plus I think you can't run a cat with leaded fuel, so you have to live with that exhaust stink all the time.
Your points are very well understood. But the use of C16 is only happening when you are in high boost (lets say beyond 7 psi). So its not constantly used here to be a problem. well, unless you like to put the hammer down every 5 minute.

I would say that 90% of the Supras I see are with test pipes (no cats). Me included. But i live in Texas lol . And they all drive with drag radials around (Kill mod). For roll racing I think DRs with the right suspension should keep you straight at least lol. Unless you underestimate the power of the car.

My GN is putting down 684wtq on a mustang and its hooking fine with MT DRs.

Remember this is TQ which is what breaks tire loose...in a 22 years old platform. I think the Supra can make it happen.

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
That is an excellent idea. You could then keep stock injectors on the main fuel rain and have larger ones in the secondary rail.

Im going to read more. I wonder if you could just wire the injectors directly to the stock ones (accordingly)? It says the stock ecm runs them.

And then you would need another tank (probably a custom one would be better) in the trunk area.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
Lol...yeah...I dont know why i like it too...it makes me feel like I came out of a real race car.
It does smell exactly like a race car, but it gets old when you get out of your car and your clothes carry the stink, plus chicks aren't as keen on it!

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does smell exactly like a race car, but it gets old when you get out of your car and your clothes carry the stink, plus chicks aren't as keen on it!
you really care that much...you design your hobbies and your car around what a girl would like?...to each their own I guess.

Plus...most supras are not daily driven...just toys or hotrods. I can't remember taking it to work also. So the smell is ok since it adds to the fun factor.

If its your only means of transportation then it makes sense I guess.

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah but then you have to deal with three blends a year. You will need to load a tune for each one thats if you paid enough attention to your a/f gauge. If you dont then I really dont want to speculate what could happen.

I had E85 in a turbo car before. GREAT power and potential. I gave it up because of the blends thing.

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is an excellent idea. You could then keep stock injectors on the main fuel rain and have larger ones in the secondary rail.

Im going to read more. I wonder if you could just wire the injectors directly to the stock ones (accordingly)? It says the stock ecm runs them.

And then you would need another tank (probably a custom one would be better) in the trunk area.

I dont know about the stock supra ecu...but I am almost positive that an AEM can do that no problem.

The extra tank is a must like you said.

·
Custom LED Tail Lights
3,315 Posts
It says that YES the stock ecu can run this. The stock ecu is used for the C16 injector timing (same as the stock) and then you run fuel lines for the new setup. You run on the primary system (lets say stock system) and after you hit a predetermined boost pressure (using a boost solenoid) the entire primary system is shut off and instantly changed to the secondary system.

You would need some sort of fuel management system to run this due to the C16 and high boost. A minimum would be a MAP ECU.

So basically:
If you already have an upgraded fuel system you can use those lines for the C16
Use the stock hard lines for the pump gas system (you can probably get away with using the stock 550cc injectors too since your only using this system to putz around with)
You buy a new fuel rail
6 New Injector bungs that you have to somehow modify the lower runner to accept 12 injectors and 2 fuel rails. All in that small area (UNLESS you have 6 injectors under the lower runner, not sure how well that would work out)
Another fuel pressure regulator
Another relay (or the same one from your stock setup
another tank for the C16 (probably a custom one that sits in the spare tire area would be best)
Another fuel pump for that tank
boost solenoid
stock fuel filter

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It says that YES the stock ecu can run this. The stock ecu is used for the C16 injector timing (same as the stock) and then you run fuel lines for the new setup. You run on the primary system (lets say stock system) and after you hit a predetermined boost pressure (using a boost solenoid) the entire primary system is shut off and instantly changed to the secondary system.

You would need some sort of fuel management system to run this due to the C16 and high boost. A minimum would be a MAP ECU.

So basically:
If you already have an upgraded fuel system you can use those lines for the C16
Use the stock hard lines for the pump gas system (you can probably get away with using the stock 550cc injectors too since your only using this system to putz around with)
You buy a new fuel rail
6 New Injector bungs that you have to somehow modify the lower runner to accept 12 injectors and 2 fuel rails. All in that small area (UNLESS you have 6 injectors under the lower runner, not sure how well that would work out)
Another fuel pressure regulator
Another relay (or the same one from your stock setup
another tank for the C16 (probably a custom one that sits in the spare tire area would be best)
Another fuel pump for that tank
boost solenoid
stock fuel filter
Man ..the more I read this page the more I like the system. Iam sure you will run through some glitches. but the guy has been running it for 3 years now.

I am with you on the extra injectors placing. Not sure how that would work with a 2JZ. I am new to it myself.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I looked into this a while back and would do it if I drove my car more. There's a thread on here where we discussed it with Titan. Good idea, IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts