Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Stock Twins King
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just purchased the latest version of the Race Logic with Full Throttle Shift and Launch Control. I do not have the installation docs yet, but I have done research here and on the RLTC forum. There is some controversy as to how to install the Race Logic in the OBDII cars. Specially, cars with ABS "with" Traction Control, 1996-1998. The diagrams I see are not accurate IMO.

I have taken images of PDF's showing all the layouts of the ABS System, Traction System, ECU pins, and all the harnesses. The question I am having a hard time determining is exactly where to connect for the speed sensors. There is the ABS ECU that has the origin inputs directly from all 4 speed sensors, and then there is the Traction Control ECU that uses the ABS ECU "outputs" for all 4 speed sensors.

I will attach all documents for everyone's
review and comments.

First is the main ECU pin-outs for basic installation:

The next image is the actual ABS Circuit showing the Speed sensors inputs:

The next picture is the ABS ECU Terminals (Different than pre-'96)

The next picture is the Traction Control ECU layout-Notice the Speed inputs from the ABS ECU and the pin #'s (RR=right rear RL=right front etc)

The next picture is the T16 B Harness for the ABS to Traction Control Connectio:

Here is the "Terminals of the Traction ECU" layout:

I know Martin had given some feedback in a previous post with his diagrams. So if someone can clarify exactly where, or which ECU pins to use for the Speed Sensors would be great. IMO you use the PINS 7, 8. 15. 16 on the Traction harness coming from the ABS ECU.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Did you read Derek's instructions? How would those be any different for an OBD-II car? Works great on my car and I helped Derek with some of the setup/troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Stu,

Hey Stu. Great to see your adding this to your badass green Supra. Here is Derek's info on the RL unit. I found it on the MKIV site.

http://www.mkiv.com/main/index.html

I'm not sure if the link will take you directly to what you want but look under:

tech articles - other mods/photos - RaceLogic Traction Control Installation

Hope this is what you were looking for. Keep us informed, I have yet to install my unit which has been sitting in my garage for well over a year now. This should prove very interesting.

Later,

Enrique

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
The trac system doesn't matter when you install the RaceLogic, Stu. :) You remove it.

Tap into the ABS wires as Derek did and it works great.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
kingerm said:
Stu,

Hey Stu. Great to see your adding this to your badass green Supra. Here is Derek's info on the RL unit. I found it on the MKIV site.

http://www.mkiv.com/main/index.html

I'm not sure if the link will take you directly to what you want but look under:

tech articles - other mods/photos - RaceLogic Traction Control Installation

Hope this is what you were looking for. Keep us informed, I have yet to install my unit which has been sitting in my garage for well over a year now. This should prove very interesting.

Later,

Enrique
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/racelogic_Install/index.html

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Tap into ABS signals, get RPM signal from ECU, intercept injector signals - that's it. Take OEM TRAC stuff and toss in dumpster. Unless the pins for the ABS signals moved it's all the same install. If the ECU is an AEM then you have to use the "alternate" RPM signal mentioned on the MKIV site and listed as being dedicated for climate control on the AEM pinouts...

·
Stock Twins King
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Cool, so use the diagram above, "T19 B" pins # 7, 8, 15, 16, and that is it, other than the ECU stuff. I will tap into the "out" wires of the ABS ECU, or where they intercept in to the Traction ECU, same thing. I can see some form of weight reduction going here ! lol!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Good info, I have Dereks old RLTC, and am going to install it shortly. Carl Byck

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
When we installed the Racelogic on Matt A's '97, we could not get signals at the trac ECU, and the wires at the ABS computer were different than those in Derek's article. Luckily, Matt had the Toyota electrical manual and we were able to get the right wires on the 3rd try. :lol:

·
Racing is Life.
1,148 Posts
When we installed the Racelogic on Matt A's '97, we could not get signals at the trac ECU, and the wires at the ABS computer were different than those in Derek's article. Luckily, Matt had the Toyota electrical manual and we were able to get the right wires on the 3rd try. :lol:
So I'm on my 3rd try as well now. Benefits of 97+ I guess. Stu, everyone else, can you show the harness pins, with colors, of the 4 ABS wires that need to be tapped? I'm frustrated at this point. Please help!

Back from the dead! BTW MKIV article left me with an ABS light coming on when I press the brake pedal while rolling. That's cute.

·
Stock Twins King
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm on my 3rd try as well now. Benefits of 97+ I guess. Stu, everyone else, can you show the harness pins, with colors, of the 4 ABS wires that need to be tapped? I'm frustrated at this point. Please help!

Back from the dead! BTW MKIV article left me with an ABS light coming on when I press the brake pedal while rolling. That's cute.
I have not been here in so long I did not know my pictures got corrupt. So I fixed that. It is VERY important that you MAKE SURE that the wheels are exactly as noted in the RLTC wheel set up sheet. CH1 = CH= CH3= CH4=. This is because the unit "assumes" that you correctly installed the "driven" wheels and the "reference" wheels. Otherwise when you go to data log the RLTC wont know what to do if you accidentally got the driven and reference backwards. Oddly, earlier this year I actually went back in and rewired as I had this exact issue. It was a gremlin which I couldn't never figure out until I started to data-log to see what was up. Sure enough, I had 1 reference and 1 driven ABS sensor flip flopped. Now when I log, RLTC "channels" read exactly.

Oddly, earlier this year I actually went back in and rewired as I had this exact issue. It was a gremlin which I couldn't never figure out until I started to data-log to see what was up. Sure enough, I had 1 reference and 1 driven ABS sensor flip flopped. Now when I log, RLTC "channels" read exactly. This screen shot shows how I had originally wired and how it logged. It has now been fixed and all channels read as they should.
This shot shows what I "previously" had written in the RLTC software wheel configurations. So I had to redo all the ABS speed sensors As shown above.

I have lots more files and tips/tricks from seasoned UK users. Even from the guy who originally fitted it into the Supra. Email me if you need anything else [email protected].

Stu

·
Racing is Life.
1,148 Posts
So people can come to this thread and this alone, where's the trac ecu on a 97? The ABS ECU was easy to find, right behind the radio. Once I've got that I'll be able to wire it in a matter of minutes.

·
Racing is Life.
1,148 Posts
Or, is this being wired into the ABS ECU harness behind the radio?

I also understand this is a basic wiring concept that hurts my brain, but in this diagram you are looking at the harness, and the wires would be facing away from you.

·
Stock Twins King
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or, is this being wired into the ABS ECU harness behind the radio?

http://97supraturbo.com/Race Logic/ABS Wiring.jpg

AS you can see here, both the plugs to where you get the 4 ABS wires are behind the radio. This is an old picture where the 4 wires were installed in reverse to the RLTC connector. But the 4 wires are spliced here as shown. This is the "hole" once the radio has been removed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts