Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got my Racelogic traction control system up and running in my 1997 TT. This was something I got several weeks ago during a group buy offered by Racelogic a while back. The system I ordered consisted of the basic traction control system, externally adjustable slip, launch control, and an adjustable shift light. The device itself is contained in a box slightly smaller than the OE trac ecu, so it fits nicely in the same location. The adjustable slip/launch control is housed in a small black metal box that can be mounted on the dash or elsewhere. I modified my dash so that the unit could be mounted approximately where the TRAC switch was mounted.

As far as operation, I am very satisfied. For the launch control, the system holds engine RPM at a user selected value so you just hold the throttle wide open, wait a moment, and release the clutch normally. During this process, boost builds up a few psi before launch then jumps up as soon as the clutch is released, which gives a very quick and smooth launch. Wheelspin after launching depends on the amount of slip selected, I seemed to get the hardest launch with about 10%. This feature is great fun and I tried it over and over again, it makes the start so easy compared to stock. Just watch out for police who respond to the action! Anyway, on to the general operation. I evaluated the unit a little during fast cornering, wheel spin was controlled (again, the amount of spin depends on the % slip selected) and I was able to use full throttle on some right turn exits that would have put me backwards or in the SNOW mode before. Acceleration was very quick out of these turns. The only glitch I have encountered is with the shift light, which also functions as a diagnostic lamp. This lamp flickers briefly every 10 sec or so right now, I’m hoping Racelogic can help me here. The upshift light is something that is good to have with this system, since you can essentially drive WOT and not worry about wheel spin, it is very easy to overrev.

I have a few pics of the setup, if anyone would like to see them please email me privately.

Bob
97 6-speed

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought my Racelogic Traction Control unit a few weeks ago too here in the UK, and am getting round to getting it fitted to my BPU Mkiv manual in the next week or so.

Just to echo Bob's comments, i've only heard very positive things about this unit and what it's capable of. Defnitely going to be a Good Thing when the winter rain arrives (hey, this is the UK, so that means every month outside of July). many a Supra driver over here has been "saved" from an unintended off-road experience by this system !

if you guys want to know more, check out the info on the system at :
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/

will report back with my own personal experiences once it's fitted and i've had a chance to test it out thoroughly.

regds.
Stu

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so would this be better than just pulling off the fuse off the trac system??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is a group buy going on... I will post details. my friend is running it (bimmer guys here) but its 15% off retail.. I'll get info up ASAP.

Later,
Josh

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for those who wanted the pics, please email me privately. I can get them to you on Tuesday when I get back in town.

As an update to my earlier report, the system works GREAT!!! I highly recommend it - just don't get the shift light option...but DO get the adjustable slip, and launch options...

-Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turbomkiv said:
Would this system allow you to go straighter down the line. The T-78 can be a handful to handle sometimes.
Hi....

The answer to your question is a resounding yes. I and a lot of UK Supras are fitted with with this system and I cannot thing of any set of circumstances where you would not be able to drive faster, especially in wet or slippery conditions.

This really is an excellent product which I am suprised hasn't taken off in the US especially with all you 6 spd drag racers out there.

regards......................

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Will it work on an automatic Supra and will it work in conjuction with the upcoming AEM ECU?

John H

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John H said:
Will it work on an automatic Supra and will it work in conjuction with the upcoming AEM ECU?

John H
Yes, it works on the auto (except the launch control feature I understand).

I think the AEM has some sort of traction control built in, as for how good that might be I guess no one is in a postion to comment yet.

regards......................

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to echo Gavin's comment, this system is ideal for a high-power single or twin setup. Literally, the system will allow the maximum amount of power to the ground at any given time, with the precise amount of slip you want, from 0 to anything you program in. Or you can turn it off completely, but I can't think of a reason to do that...

IMHO this is probably the best mod I have made to my car in terms of improving the all-around capability of my TT (performance, handling and safety)

Bob

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point, how much is this unit and what's invonved in installation? It sounds great because 1st gear is basically useless above 5000 rpm.

Eric

T-78 w/ the chicken fried clutch mod

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It interfaces between the ECU and the fuel injectors which is how engine power is controlled. It also piggy backs on the ECU RPM signal, and the 4 speed sensors at the ABS ECU. Also, 12v power and ground. Since the TRAC ECU is removed, this is where I got the 12v supply instead of the ECU. The system also comes with a nice harness (that you construct) so if you ever need to remove the system you can just unplug it and reconnect the injectors back to stock.

As far as cost, I spent just under $1k for my system with shipping. Since $50 of that was for the shift light option that I do not recommend, you could get it for ~$950 or so if another group buy could be started. The best $950 you can spend IMO...

Bob

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
turbomkiv said:
Lets get a group buy going....
Josh/// M3 said:
15% OFF COST GROUP BUY GOING ON NOW

CONTACT INFO:

tell them to talk to [email protected] or (954) 560-8795 ... tell them Kevin referred them.

A friend of mine set up the deal. Just make sure you talk to Bruce
This says the group buy will get 15% off. I guess the last one had like 30% off. I would deffently join in if it was 30% off. As it is I really want to get it at 15% off also. If anyone have more info on this group buy or others, please post it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The person you want to contact is Alex Dearden at Racelogic.

- [email protected]

I believe the 30%-off deal happens if 10 or more buy in. There are a few over on the mkiv.com mail list who also seem to be interested, someone might want to check over there too - you might get close enough to 10 to qualify.

Why pay 85% if you can pay 70%?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts