Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
hmmm, have you ever been on a road course? If not I would not put a single on before learning how to handle what you already have. A t78 would probably suck on a road course. Too much lag. Not enough driveability. Can you say rear end snap around oversteer? You don't mean REAL roadracing. You mean DE events right?
Barry H.

·
4,109 Posts
FWIW, I saw SW race his T78 at the blimp base in TX last year, and he came in second to Andi B by a couple hundredths of a second, IIRC. Of course, SW can drive anything:), so his results may not be typical

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T78 is already on. A friend of mine told me about a track close to me that he goes to.Twice a month the owner opens it up,you pay a hundred bucks and just mess around.I've never raced before so I figured I'd give it a try next year.I baught a racelogic, so traction shouldn't be too much of a problem I hope.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Sw is a great guy with some very nice cars but the blimp base is no damn race track and a bunch of folks farting around on a course that is nothing but a bunch of slow speed ninety degree turns (semi-solo 2 course) is not representative of a REAL road course. Which track are you talking about? I could be wrong but I bet the dyno curve for your T78 makes for a bitch to actually modulate a Supra on the razor's edge mid-turn instead of slam on the brakes, tip toe to the apex to keep the boost from coming on like a light switch and hey, when the road straightens out punch it. That is not what "road racing" is about.
Barry H.

·
4,109 Posts
bwill said:
Sw is a great guy with some very nice cars but the blimp base is no damn race track and a bunch of folks farting around on a course that is nothing but a bunch of slow speed ninety degree turns (semi-solo 2 course) is not representative of a REAL road course. Which track are you talking about? I could be wrong but I bet the dyno curve for your T78 makes for a bitch to actually modulate a Supra on the razor's edge mid-turn instead of slam on the brakes, tip toe to the apex to keep the boost from coming on like a light switch and hey, when the road straightens out punch it. That is not what "road racing" is about.
Barry H.
Easy there, that's why I said FWIW...jeez

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
I dont think Spanky was talking about going pro just yet.
Dont listen to these guys. Go out and have fun with the car but be careful and watch for that "light switch" powerband it could definetly get you in trouble.
I did lapping days and solo 2 events all last year with a T78 car and even got to the point where I was competitive on the local level in solo/autox. Bear in mind Iam changing turbos this season to better suit my needs.
Just go out and have fun with it, if you deceide that road course driving is what you are after then make the proper mods to suit that style of driving.
Are there any instructors or experienced drivers that can ride along with you and point you in the right direction?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a few friends of mine took a class at mid ohio,they said it was a lot of fun.So I might try that to get some good experiance.thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You should be fine with a T78 doing lapping sessions and DEs. Unless a mod makes your car extremely unreliable or unsafe, it'll most likely be fine doing recreational track days. My advice would be to make sure all your aftermarket mods are in good shape and your car is in good tune. Most often than not, even stock cars experience failures on the road course due to the extra demands of track driving.

Common sense is key, so if you know your T78 car lights up the tires in 3rd gear at 5000rpm, ease off the throttle a bit when exiting a turn at 5000rpm.

I thought my T78 Supra was pretty decent on the road course once we had it dialed in. Racelogic did help it to go faster easier, but it is not required if you just want to drive and aquire skills. In retrospect, I would have picked a smaller turbo so I can exchange the peak power for a wider torque/power curve on pump gas, but the turbo was never something that prohibitied the car from doing lap days.... as I said, very few quality mods will make the car unusable on the track if they've been installed and tuned properly.

At the risk of sounding like a prick, most to all track beginners should stop worrying about their cars and learn how to drive. Parts, HP, and cornering Gs are cool to brag about on the net, but for a new track driver, anything that is safe with 4 wheels is often more than good enough.

Once you know that nobody else in the world can go faster in your car than you are driving it already, that is when you really *need* to worry about the car and the mods. So in a way, most to all of us are guilty! ;)

Good luck and have fun.

Derek

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
One key thing to remember: Eggshell

Throttle like you have an eggshell between your foot and the floor. Otherwise you'll see your a$$ beating you around the corner.

DE's are for education. It's not a race and there are no ego's to slam, dis, shunt, etc. There's no need to prove who's top dog on the first weekend. Keep it clean, keep it simple. And for gawd's sake: get an instructor who knows high HP cars. Nothing like having an instructor get out of his car and then get into yours only to say" Sheesh this is fast." :anger: (This is not a good thing.)

Regards,
James R

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
sF1nktertoneRACETEAM said:
265 fronts and 335 rears and go crazy
yea i second that.

-Brett

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I raced my T78 on the road course at this years USCC with 20" P-Zero's (275/30/20) which was not my first choice but I didn't have time to get anything better.

Even at only 15 psi, and very good throttle control I spun twice in 15 laps.

I recommend some wide R compound tires, maybe get a set of CCW's with Hoosiers.

I would also think about a quality coilover setup and sway bars.

P

·
0 Posts
The T78 will be fun. The turbo is a good compromise overall for road racing, drag racing, highway pulls, etc (not autocross). You're not going to be the most competitive with this setup most likely, but going past those pesky miatas at 28 lbs of boost and an open WG is a lot of fun! With this much power, though, you'll have to pay extra attention to your brakes/brake cooling, suspension, and tires. You are trying to turn and brake a very heavy car (in the racing world), and from higher speeds than most cars out there. Top notch brakes and suspension will be more important to you than the next guy. Have fun!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts