Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, has anyone that is BPU ever driven on race fuel, If so have they seen the drag strip or have they raced other cars and cany they feel a difference in performance....also how much is that stuff for the galon and what is the octane.??????

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My BPU car originally dyno'd 320 rwhp, while detonating. I went back a month later with new plug and about 104 octane and laid down 410 rwhp. As for track times, originally i ran around a 13.7, with the new plugs and 104 octane I ran a 12.7 @ 117. Hope this helps.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya Supras (along w/ any other turbocharged car) LOVES race gas.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I was under the impression that you didn't make more power at the same boost levels with race gas, but it allowed you to run more boost and more timing resulting with a higher horsepower. You shouldn't be able to feel any difference in a bpu.........unless your car was detonating without it.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
You would get more power if you're running at a boost level (say about 18 psi for BPU) in which you risk detonation on pump gas. If the ECU sees detonation, it will retard timing and/or richen the mixture, resulting in loss of power.

If you are running higher boost than about 18 psi, it is more a question of safety than power.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I think the 18psi Rich mentions above is for 93 octane; in CA where you only have 91 octane the number is more like 14psi. If you boost higher than that the ECU pulls timing so you would notice an improvement if you use racegas under that scenario.

When I was BPU and boosting to 18psi or higher it always amazed me how responsive the car felt with racegas ...most of my experience was with C16 though that's more octane than necessary.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I ran 93 octane and 17 lbs on stock twins and also 110 octane and 21psi dropping to 19psi by redline and there is a noticeable difference in power. You definitely can feel it, you can also feel that the stockers dont like that much boost at higher rpms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts