Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good racing school which focuses on road racing, preferably in a non-open wheel car. Anyone have any recomendations? $3-$4K is the price range for a good school (otherwise I'd just do the simpler SCCA generic school to get a license)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
non-open wheel quite a few folks have gone to the Panoz Racing School at Road Atlanta. Not sure where is they are located. They use the Panoz purpose built track car. Why no open wheeler? Formula car will be faster and will require faster reactions to screw ups which if you can keep up with the corrections needed in it, a regular car is made easier.
Barry H.

·
GSC Power-Division
908 Posts
Panoz is deffinatly a great school. runs at road a and sebring. There is also a porsche school at the barber track I heard, but don't quote me on that. Skip barber is also good they move around. and there is a school in las vegas that runs cobra's having a brain fart on the name though.

·
TX2K7 roadrace champion
1,544 Posts
panoz 3 day if you wanna learn stuff, porsche driving experience if you wanna have fun

panoz is ultimatly more fun of corse but you have to take it moe seriously

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I prefer non-open wheel cars just because I won't be driving them on the track. I'd rather learn in something more similiar to what I'd be driving.

Which schools have you done, and what did you think of them? I've done a few high performance driving events, and one time trial, so I might get bored on some of them (threshold braking practice all day for the 1st day?!). The Bondurant one sounds nice, but I'm not quite sure whether it would be accredited for the SCCA norpac region

http://www.scca.org/amateur/club_racing/schools.html It says "regional only," so does that mean its only good for the sopac?

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
I did my training at the Bridgestone Racing Academy here in Ontario. I can't recommend them highly enough. It is open wheel (with initial training being done in Camaro/Firebirds) on a track that is scalled and designed specifically for teaching. The instructors were top notch as was the course adjenda. I did the 4-day race licence course.

I know they are too far away and not what you're looking for ma71, but I thought I would toss their info here for those more local.

The school details can be found here:

http://www.goodman-motorsports.com/

G

·
I know you said you wanted a non-open wheel school but I think you should rethink that. If you learn on a more responsive car, such as an open wheel formula car, you will learn much better car control skills. I considered the Panoz school and the Skip Barber school and decided on the Skip Barber school because of the cars.

I wrote a review of my school experience here:

http://www.beesandgoats.com/skip/school.html

My plans for the future are to get into sports car racing, such as Spec RX7, so I didn't go into the Skip Barber school with the goal of moving on into open wheel cars....just to let you know where I'm coming from...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Since you are in Nor cal, I would do Jim Russell in your own car. Just call them up, and tell them what you want(goals), they will do a custom program for you in your car with a personal instructor well within your stated budget. Carl

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
in2twins said:
Since you are in Nor cal, I would do Jim Russell in your own car. Just call them up, and tell them what you want(goals), they will do a custom program for you in your car with a personal instructor well within your stated budget. Carl
I'd never heard of this -- sounds perfect for me, thanks!

G

·
I have done all the major schools and IMO the Panozs school is the best for applicable track driving skills.
I have taken all the Panoz/ Skip Barber/ Bob Baundurant and the Derk Daily courses not to mention a few rally inspired courses as well and IMO the Panoz is the best overall pratical driving course you can do.

I would recomend the 3day with a lapping day 2750$ for the 3day and 875 for the lapping would fit your budget earn you a SCCA lisc (that not a good thing check on insurance before getting your scca lisc) and a lot of good track experience with great drivers.

It also qualifies you to eneter in the Panoz GT race series if you so desire for a tast of the fun and expense :( of pro racing.

http://www.panozracingschool.com/Racing_ThreeDay.asp

I of course love the road atalnta site but they have off campus sites all over as well as lagua seca to keep the travel expense down some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts