Supra Forums banner

Racing seat question

968 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SilverMk2 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I was wondering if they made a racing seat for bigger people. I am kind of a bigger guy, 6'4 260ish. I know I can BARLEY fit into my buddies, Mugen Racing Seats in his 99 turbo civic. Just a thought, I didn't know if possibly I could only use a reclineable one, or if they made a molded one in a bigger size. I am particullary looking at the Sparco series, I like how they look. Let me know on your opinions or comments, thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I think it all depends on your waist size more than anything my man. I'm no small person. I have a 40" waist and drive my car with Torino 2's in them everyday. They are pretty tight on me in that area, but not overly tight. If you look at my thread about my seats, you will see that the Sparco mounts also put you up a big higher in the car, so being 6'4" might not help you. I'm 6'1" and my head comes within about 2" of the roof of the car. I'm having custom mounts made for me to lower the seats so I can fit better in them. Overall they are a very comfortable seat for me.

I do know that Corbeau makes a "big boy" seat. You might want to check out their website for that info.

#3 ·
I think it depends more on what car they're in then really the seats. The Civics are somewhat relatively small cars compared to the supras. The last time I was in one I had to max out the rails, taking the seat all the way back and im only about 6' tall. On our MKIII's its get very uncomfortable if I max out the same setting while driving. I'd say its a pretty safe bet that if you were to put the same ones in your car, you'd have enough room to where you'd be comfortable.

Kruso

#4 ·
Well my waist size is 42-44" depending on the maker of the pants. I saw and read about your new seats and I love them. Those are the ones I am looking at. The Mugen seats I was talkin about earlier, they just dig into my hip bone lol. I have a targa top on my Supra, but I would like to have them as the same height as the stockies. I will check about the Corbeau seats. Thanks alot.

#5 · (Edited)
corbeau forza I is for big guys (38") and forza II is for bigger guys (44"). The forza II will require you to drill 4 new holes in the seat bracket to move the seat over about 1" to the center of the car. You may rub slightly against the door panel, but with my door panel gone it clears.

The best place to get them imho is Apex performance (www.apexperformance.net). Make sure you talk to Clark and not Linda, as Linda's orders seem to take two weeks, while Clark's took 4 days!

Suprasport also is supposed to carry them, but last I heard they needed a big first buy to get in with Corbeau and that they hadn't got the necessary buyers lined up yet...

#7 ·
Awesome. thanks alot guys. It's been one of things where I should lose some weight so I can use most racing seats, but oh well.... lol. thanks alot for you guys inputs.

#8 ·
i went to northstar motorsports outside of chicago when i lived up that way. sat in every seat they had. im not a small guy either and i couldnt find one that fit me very well. the regular seats were way too tight on my shoulders and the big boy seats were too big. i would suggest to anybody that they sit in a seat first. buddy that had a civic bought some momo seats for $1500 and id rather ride in the hatch than sit in those things.

dave

#9 ·
dbsupra said:
i went to northstar motorsports outside of chicago when i lived up that way. sat in every seat they had. im not a small guy either and i couldnt find one that fit me very well. the regular seats were way too tight on my shoulders and the big boy seats were too big. i would suggest to anybody that they sit in a seat first. buddy that had a civic bought some momo seats for $1500 and id rather ride in the hatch than sit in those things.

dave
Very true, but many of us live far away from places that stock more than one or two showroom seats. Also keep in mind most seat companies sell optional velcro bolster pads to help get the fit just right

#10 ·
I mean no offense to anyone, but I just don't see very many bigger guys in the racing scene, such as using racing seats. Alot of the ones I see, I am just speaking as of people around me. I'v seen only 3 bigger guys, which 2 of those guys are some of my better friends in the area. We are all big into Drifting and whatnot. Thanks again for everyone.

#11 ·
Tom (terrible to4e) is big into drifting and is a tall guy. Think he's a 38" and says his forza I is perfect.

I'm a 40" and the forza I is snug -- it would be great for track-only but since I drive it a few times a week I wanted something a little easier to get in/out of

#12 ·
Corbeau seat sizing to me seemed a little conservative. I know when I was a size 40 waist I could fit comfortably in the normal size Corbeau seats they say fit only size 36 (which I am now). The only thing I don't like about the Corbeaus is that the shape of the seat seems wrong to me. The back and the bottom feel like they don't fit my body very good. Maybe they just need some time and pressure. I was planning on getting TRSs for my MkII, but I was a little worried about this. Some of the Corbeau seats as well could use some more padding. A lot of them you can feel the metal bracing, particularly around the bolsters.

I wish I could find a place anywhere nearby that had Sparco Milano to set in. I love the look of those seats, but I can't see spending 2400+ bucks on something unproven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.