Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I was wondering if any one could give me tips on how to accelerate faster with and automatic '987 toyota supra tt. Should i turn the overdrive off or leave it on? Any help would be nice.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
827 Posts
From what speeds are you wanting to punch it from? At a 60 - 70 mph roll it seems like I get a little quicker response if a take it out of overdrive then punch it. I've had my kick-down feature not work on occassion and that can be really frustrating. If you are more in the 30 - 50 mph range, 2nd gear is best, but make sure you remember to shift to drive near redline (I forgot to do this just yesterday and bounced off the rev limiter hard; I was like, why is a lightly modded Mustang GT pulling on me at 75 mph?). From a dead stop, power-brake to about 2,000 rpm's and then floor it (I get just a slight chirp of the tires and then it hooks-up). We all know, I the tires are spinning, you aren't going anywhere.

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
I just bought my car (97 tt auto) and drove it back from texas to seattle and a few times I took it out of overdrive and punched it to go from 65 to 90. Is that bad?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok Guys here is my 2 cents worth, it seems to be good to smoke some Z06s from a roll. :D

If you're going from a roll with someone, never never kick it below 4000rpm, or most the time you will be playing catch up with a much lower HP car. If you want to give it your all, start bringing up the boost by power braking it at 4100 rpm rolling in your gear of choice. Bring the boost to about 15psi before someone says go.

If you're not sure when someone is going to yell go and you just want to be somewhat ready. I have notice if you allow your car to go True twin mode after 4000rpm by tapping the gas above that rpm then cruising above 3200 rpm range there after, as soon as you hit the gas or down shift the car will already be in that mode and will respond much quicker.

P.S. you will know you car changed mode by the sound or the exhaust or by the slow response of the boost at 3200-4000 rpm range. However the response will be quicker once you down shift. or go above 4000 rpm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts