Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on my way to Spokane,WA, and we stopped at a small town for some Starbucks about 2 hrs away ( somewhere in the interior)and were standing outside talking in our Language (Hindi)...these two caucasian ladies walked up straight to us and in our face told us this :
"You need to talk in English here. That is the best language in this country and you need to speak it"......

Well..being four guys, extreme heat ..and hearing that...we just straight cussed her out... in ENGLISH ofcourse , right inside Starbucks while people were staring at her for making that comment..lol

Then we decided to just leave the town as soon as possible since we looked around and were the only non-white or reddish looking people out there..

And I was thinking about driving my Supra out that way again i a week..but forget that..man..

What a racist bitch ......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Yeah...eastern washington has a reputation for that kind of stuff. Wish i could say it was the first time i'd heard that :(

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hum... hard to talk about this one... Though I do agree that you should speak in the langauge in the country that you live in out of respect to the citizienship that it provides you, I don't see ay probelms with two people of the same backaround talking in there native lang just as long as it is in context...... But then again I don't think that I would expect France, Russia, or any other aisan country to tolarate a citizien of that country to speak English in public if I lived there... thats just rude.....

but as I said before it is all about context in which the language was spoken..... English is the national language now and all citiziens are required to read\write\ and talk English.
But when you are around family\ cultural groups or even people of the same back around it doesn't bother me.... what bothers me is when people exspect or even demand that you speak another lang other then english in the USA.
I am sorry that you came across this woman.... maybe she felt threatened by you?

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can understand if I was at work, or addressing group gathering where people of different cultures were around or something like that..then speaking in a common language is approriate. IF I am travelling or haging out with my frineds and we all speak the same language, I don't see any reason to speak English. I was born and raised in the Fiji Islands, and have spoken English all my life - for school or or work, but not at home if I did not have to. English is the main Language in Fiji but its not enforced so as such that everyone has to speak it at all times or else...

I never addressed the lady directly or indirectly there in my language, nor was I even looking at her when I was talking to my friends. We just bought some drinks and were walking out talking to each other ..then she butts in ...she was walking into the store..so we turned around and just made our remarks...

As for we have to speak in English in America...I don't think so. Not unless for the purpose I stated above.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Thats just Washington Moe, Oregon is nothing like that. :rofl:

Does this mean you will be in the NW next weekend? If so I'll be in Portland man, I can show you the swap shop. :)

Oh and about those racist b&^^%ches, f&%^ck them.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MattOneDime said:

Does this mean you will be in the NW next weekend? If so I'll be in Portland man, I can show you the swap shop. :)

Matt, I may be flying this time. My cuz is in the ICu in Spokane and thats who we went to see. If the weather cools off, I may drive, but I will call u if I go. I may just get a rental and drive to Oregon....from Spokane. Know any shortcuts from there>>???

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
MattOneDime said:

Do you hate me matt?

when they tried to make me do jury duty, i told them if the person was:black, white,brown,red,yellow, or blue he/she was guilty

and they never slected me for jury duty

I totaly think that is bullshit what that lady said, i have lived all over the world and most countries do not have one single spoken language, and that is what makes a country great...america is so full of our own shit that we cant see how fuked our views actually are

I probably would have slapped da bitch

david

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,923 Posts
This white lady asked my buddy and I, "so tell me this guys... what are 2 oriental guys doing at a bar in Scio on a Saturday night? Of all the places in the world, why Scio?" My buddy and I looked at eachother and chuckled and then I whipped out my nunchucks and smacked her upside the head :rofl:

·
ghetto-fabulous
200 Posts
MattOneDime said:

the state lines should really be redrawn: western oregon and washington and eastern OR and WA becoming one giant, racist, white trash state.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
So what did you say back to her to dignify yourself??? She just must have been jealous......or self-conscious of her fat ass she thought you were remarking about.

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
zerorecall said:
I don't see ay probelms with two people of the same backaround talking in there native lang just as long as it is in context......
What is "in Context"? Does this mean someone looses their freedom of speach because they are speaking in a different language talking trash about someone? (for example)

The only time in the U.S.A. that I have a problem with people not being able to speak english is when they can't adequately speak at a level their job requires.
At the same time, If I was working somewhere and a customer couldn't speak english, I feel it would be my duty to help them as best I can. So really my feeling over the matter is a one way street.

Racism is part of daily life, it will never fully go away. I have faced it my whole life and expect that it will continue through the rest of my life. Thats ok, I don't expect it to change, I can learn/have learned to deal with it.

SUPRASTANGER507mgte I don't think the comment was exactly racist, as I assume this lady would have said it to you no matter what language you were speaking. More a case of Prejudice as she probably assumed you couldn't speak english. So I hope you were able to show the fact that you obviously can speak English very well. As just reading your post I would never assume english is not your first language.

Ishii

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
minguezCD said:
Yeah...eastern washington has a reputation for that kind of stuff. Wish i could say it was the first time i'd heard that :(

It does? :scratch: That is news to me.... :dunno:

He said he was 2 hours west of spokane, which would put him a lot closer to Wenatchee, which is central WA which has a much different demographic than eastern, wa/spokane.

Regardless of the part of the state you're in, racism is something not easily avoidable, especially for someone of a different culture. I'm sorry to hear that a fellow member was targeted solely because of his nationality. :(

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Yeah when I went to Japan... Boy oh boy.... I felt really out of place, even though I was with friends.....I was east of tokyo in a rual area..... Kept giving me crap cause I couldn't speak japanes and me being the only white guy there I had to deal with it. :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Craig King said:

He said he was 2 hours west of spokane, which would put him a lot closer to Wenatchee, which is central WA which has a much different demographic than eastern, wa/spokane.

Regardless of the part of the state you're in, racism is something not easily avoidable, especially for someone of a different culture. I'm sorry to hear that a fellow member was targeted solely because of his nationality. :(
i don think he said west, he said just 2 hrs away from spokane, and seeing that he is coming from California im guessing that he was close to the TriCities (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco)? In that case ive never encountered racism in a store or something, but then again i speak english mostly wherever i go, except home. But i have encountered racist hatred, or just jealous hatred, when im driving around sometimes, and its mostly been this summer. But right now im in seattle again... and its really hard to have people be racist since most of the people arent white :-0 The bay in California is prolly the most unracist place ive encountered, i have lived there 16 years in the bay area and all, although when i was there about a week ago and driving back upto washington we stopped at Redwood city i think, at the In N Out there, and this skanky hoe knew we were waiting for a table for a while, and offfers it to someone else.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
zerorecall said:
Yeah when I went to Japan... Boy oh boy.... I felt really out of place, even though I was with friends.....I was east of tokyo in a rual area..... Kept giving me crap cause I couldn't speak japanes and me being the only white guy there I had to deal with it. :(
That's how I feel when I'm at parties where I am the only minority. haha.

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
Craig King said:

Anything east of northbend is eastern wa to me :bigthumb: jk :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
MattOneDime said:
I disagree. I face less racism in Portland and Salem, but anywhere else I feel like an alien.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
ssgohan434 said:
i don think he said west, he said just 2 hrs away from spokane, and seeing that he is coming from California im guessing that he was close to the TriCities (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco)? In that case ive never encountered racism in a store or something, but then again i speak english mostly wherever i go, except home. But i have encountered racist hatred, or just jealous hatred, when im driving around sometimes, and its mostly been this summer. But right now im in seattle again... and its really hard to have people be racist since most of the people arent white :-0 The bay in California is prolly the most unracist place ive encountered, i have lived there 16 years in the bay area and all, although when i was there about a week ago and driving back upto washington we stopped at Redwood city i think, at the In N Out there, and this skanky hoe knew we were waiting for a table for a while, and offfers it to someone else.
YEah..it was towards Kennewick/Pasco

BTW:
Just to clarify, I am not labelling anyone from Northwest as a racist. I am merely questioning the the acts of this one lady I encountered as such. I met a lot of people in the 2 days I was in Spokane and everyone was wonderful. IN the hospital as well the stores.

Moe.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts