Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I need to replace my rack on 85 Supra
P-Type. I have found the part for $175, but am wondering if any one here has experience replacing this part on an MKII.

How long did it take approx.?

Was it a P.I.T.A.?

Special Tools?

Thanks,

Eighty_Five_Supra:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
i did most of it with the engine out... in that case, it really wasn't that bad :) but really, it should not be _too_ bad.

the steering shaft that goes to the wheel was seized onto the rack. i ended up tearing the dust cover trying to heave it off. (toyota does not the dust cover separately. at least, that's what a local but incompetent dealer told me). the return line fitting was quite tough to remove as well. these steps are what I had the most trouble with.

the mounting bolts for the rack are pretty easy to get to. hammering out the tie rods was ok, it just took a big hammer. also i had a bit of trouble getting the tie rods back on the knuckle arm. it took a bit of playing with. oh yeah and don't forget to straighten the steering wheel and wheels out when you stick the shaft back in.

shiva

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! Thanks for the n-fo. I have been using this stuff called PB-Blaster for the longest time and it works really well for seized bolts and issue of that kind. Comes in a 20 oz spray can at Auto Zone. Anyway, thanks I feel alot more confident now that I won't be spending all weekend on this.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Buy new tie rod ends and its an easy job. If you want to save $40 and not get new rod ends have fun getting them off. They usually rust themselves onto the inner rod end.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OIC! Just pull the rack and tie rod ends together and assemble the new ends with the new rack. Good idea. Yeh, I have to replace the ends as well, so that sounds like a sure fire deal. Good thinking. Thanks.
Found the rack --- Rebuilt Cardone from Oreilly ($175)
and the ends--- (@30.99 each)

cool...

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OIC! Just pull the rack and tie rod ends together and assemble the new ends with the new rack. Good idea. Yeh, I have to replace the ends as well, so that sounds like a sure fire deal. Good thinking. Thanks.
Found the rack --- Rebuilt Cardone from Oreilly ($175)
and the ends--- (@30.99 each)

cool...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts