Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a trip to Portland, OR. On the way down I got 17MPG. Horrified I didn't know what the hell is going on. I continued to get horrible fuel economy until today. When I was leaving to come home on Division St. in Portland and heard a clicking. The rad fan was cracked.. wobbly and hitting the crank pulley. I took both the fan and fan clutch out. Topped off the coolant and got a new rad cap(just to make sure). I had to be home in 4hrs so I blasted through 85-90MPH the entire way. I got into Boardman, OR with 1/2 a tank and decided to fill up. 6.95 gallons for the last fill and 160miles. That is 23MPG! The ONLY thing that could have caused this the fan that was wobbly and stuck in high because the driving conditions were the same(cruise control set at 85-90MPH the entire way except for a few pulls ;). Just thought I'd share.

Oh BTW.. didn't overheat without a rad fan. Just drove with the window down and the heater on 85/High the entire trip. Long live the Supra!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Everybody that saw under the hood of mine at TX2K5 laughed or was in aw when I showed up with no clutch fan and fan shroud, just the 2 electrics were on there. I told them the guage shows fine and it runs fine. I took it out because I was having problems with it not turning off, decided I didnt really need it. But people said the guage wasnt exactly accurate, and I should put it back on when I got home. They made me nervous, so I ran the heater full blast from Houston to San Antonio, targa off in like 85* weather. Only problem I had was when someone else broke down on the drive and we all stopped, I shut the car off after a minute or so for turbo cool down, but left the key on so the little fans would run, and the battery died and I had to get a push start on the side of the interstate. I have my fan back on now, and it seems to be working ok, no shroud still. But you know, with you being up in Oregon and stuff you probably would have been fine without the heater as long as you kept moving. More air comes through at highway speeds than the fan can pull through anyway.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
um, are you sure it just wasnt the fan catching, thus putting a load on the clutch fan and thus making the engine working harder? either way, nice job, did you boost at all the whole time?

<l><l>

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I'm gonna miss having no fan once my gte goes in. I ran for quite a few months without any fan, it can be done without problems as long as ur cooling system is in tip-top shape and running flawlessly. Gonna hook up my zirgo 3300cfm electric fan when I get the car all back together, I'm not a fan of the stock fan. :hsugh:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock fan blows.. I mean it pushes air.. but not very effciently.

Snake Eyes.. I wasn't in boost at all except going up hill and a few pulls to 145MPH.

I'm going to order my Zirgo soon. I'm done messing with the stock fan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
I'm gonna miss having no fan once my gte goes in. I ran for quite a few months without any fan, it can be done without problems as long as ur cooling system is in tip-top shape and running flawlessly.
How can your cooling system be in tip top shape and running flawlessly without a fan??? The fan is an integral part of the cooling system.

Let me just say it for all the NEWBs who'll read this post and get the wrong impression.

DON'T RUN YOUR CAR WITHOUT A FAN!!!

Overheating is very bad for any motor and leads to big, expensive repairs.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hmmm... interesting.

I live in portland and drove my supra all over the place this past spring break. I got 200 miles to ~1/3 of a tank of gas or $20 of plus gas.

Of course most of it was highway driving though or at least 120 miles of it was.

I shifted below 2k rpms and the only time I went above that was on the highway (3k rpms max).

I was amazed... however I got back home and filled with $10. Boosted hard and had a few rev limit pulls; the gas only lasted ~70 miles. :faint:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At freeway speed the fans isn't needed as much as you think. The cooling system requires the fan at speeds 30-40 mph(my estimate from running w/o a fan for 2 months) and ambient tempature.

The fan is designed to bring air in at low speeds. At high speeds there is enough air flow to cool down the radiator. The tempature in the engine bay doesn't necessarly matter, though it does help to cool the coolant.

Don't get me wrong. I'm ordering a new fan tonight(had to talk to my bank.. asses) so i'm good to go. I don't recommend running without a radiator fan. But i found it interesting. :)

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
The stock fan is nothing but a pain in the ass...Get a $80 autozone elec fan like I did and the done with it.

Running without a fan is retarded. I tried that once and overheated in the White Castle drive thru line

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
suprafly1986 said:
The stock fan is nothing but a pain in the ass...Get a $80 autozone elec fan like I did and the done with it.

Running without a fan is retarded. I tried that once and overheated in the White Castle drive thru line
do tell this mod, as i might actually do it, pm me if you wish if you dont want to post it on here

<l><l>

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
suprafly1986 said:
You should have shut off the engine while you werent moving dummy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts