Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Resident Cyborg
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The police have apparently decided, in my case at least, that speeding is defined by the vehicle involved rather than the speed at which it is travelling (remember the Celica GT commercial where the cop tries to pull over the parked car because it "looks fast?")
As a result, I feel the need for a radar detector for the first time in a great many years. I had one once before (a bell, I think) and I fianlly got rid of it because EVERYTHING set it off, so I ended up not paying attention to it. What's a good one that won't have this problem? Does such a detector exist? Price really isn't an obstacle, if it saves me from even one ticket (and court and lawyer fees) it will have paid for itself.

-J

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
i have a bel980 (they have a bel985 now), my roomate has a passport 8500 and my uncle has a valentine 1. I have used all 3 and personally i like my 980 the best. It has saved me many times and i would recommend it to anyone. Theres a car mag that has a recent test. Road&track, car&driver, etc. One of the bigger mags. I believe it was last month. The 980 picks up the signal from a far distance which will def. give u enough time to slow down. The 985 is supposed to be as good as/better the 980.
Hope this helps.

·
SupraForums Member
1,540 Posts
...PLEASE SEARCH..there is plenty of information out there, you will find valentine 1 highly recomended.

good luck

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
v1. and of course a fish finder will help also.if u dont know then think about it .it must have a long wide range to scamble the radar,since it is a radar...

·
Resident Cyborg
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard truckers talk about the fish finder, whats the dealo with that?

B

·
0 Posts
I use a cordless solo s2. Ive had it for a week and its allready payed for itself, saving me from numerous tickets.

·
93 Hardtopper
834 Posts
V1 is the only one to go with IMO....I have had one for 5 years or more, and have been saved many times...

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
V1

-bj give me a ride one day in your fish finder car ok. i dont believe it works i wanna see.

-brett

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've got a BEL980. The one time I got caught in the last 2 years was in an "instant on" speedtrap. Though there was one instance i remember where the dude next to me slammed on the brakes (his detector went off first) and my detector went off 2 or 3 seconds later. Overall it does pretty well, but the damned thing vibrates like mad if you've got any kind of bass going through your stereo. It does fine, but next time i'm going with a V1.

J

·
0 Posts
LAST MONTH I GOT 3 SPEEDING TICKETS GOING UP TO MAINE
WITH MY RX7...... SO I WAS AGAINST GETTING ONE
[DUE TO ALL THE FALSE ALARMS THEY GIVE OUT]

BUT I GUESS THEY HAVE GOT BETTER NOTHING MORE ANNOYING
THAN THE THING BEEPING WHEN THERE IS NO COP THERE
`JOHNNY

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
they all have false alarms.even my new v1 .the thing is to learn how they beep and decide for yourself if it is a false alarm.on my everyday rt. i know whats real and fake. on new roads i just use caution as if there were real.there will always be false alarms in any radar detector,just learn and watch how it works and be alert.and remember NOTHING can detect the instant on radar.instant on radar isnt legal for cops to use since it may not be accurate speed but try and prove them wrong.all radar but laser needs to be on at all times to get the correct speed .otherwise its not accurate and not legal for the operater to use.but again try and beat the cop in court.it can be done but likely since he and the judge are on the same side.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
well i had v1 one and endup getting 8500 which i like better. i think v1 is good but stupid stuff like arrows is worthles (hom many time you got puled over from behind by cop using radar??? most of the time it is pacing.) why i think 8500 is better because it has better sensetivity in Ka which happens to be mostly used radar band.

ziggy

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have had the V1 for 5 years now and havent had any problems, except for now when a General Motors car brake lights go off in front of me the radar goes off on the laser. Its pricey but its paid itself several times. I have had others such as bell and uniden and didn't like them, when racing against other cars my radar usually goes off well before theres, and on road trips in teh middle of nowhere the thing goes off like 2 miles before you see the cop.

·
Resident Cyborg
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
omr said:
I have had the V1 for 5 years now and havent had any problems, except for now when a General Motors car brake lights go off in front of me the radar goes off on the laser.
Like the LED Caddy lights?

-J

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my Valentine 1, but wouldn't be oppossed to trying the Bell 985. The one thing I love about the Valentine is the directional radar detection.

·
Registered
538 Posts
im thinking of getting one too. How far away does it locate radar? and i heard from someone that they are illegal is this true?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts