Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im lookin to upgrade the factory radiator and fan to a alluminum radiator and electric fan. I was lookin to get mishimoto fan and radiator or should i pay more and get a fluidyne and flex a lite combo? Does anybody have any of these and which one would be better?

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've seen the mishimoto for the mk4 and compared to my kayo it didn't look as nice. Is the difference in quality worth $100? I don't know because I bought mine used for 150 which is cheaper than even a mishimoto but knowing the difference I wouldn't want to see a mishimoto logo every time i pop my hood.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always heard a electric fan is better then the stock fan because it takes pressure off the motor therefor giving more power

·
Registered
361 Posts
The way I look at it the 1 HP is not worth removing my engine driven fan
If a electric fan fails to turn on...how can you tell if your driving highway speeds
It's does make the engines look better but IMO there's no reason to remove something that works and is unlikely to fail
Just my .02 cents

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
^I agree with jonahs I swapped to a dual electric fan and actually found that it didn't cool as well as the stock fan so I ended up pulling the electric fans and just going back to the stock fan setup with a new fan clutch just for good measures. I have not had a problem since but of course it gets hotter here in SC that is does in Ohio.

·
Resetting
1,666 Posts
Get good electric fans and a quality radiator. If belt driven fans were so good they would still be in use on todays cars. Make sure they are wired properly and you will have no issues.

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
Get good electric fans and a quality radiator. If belt driven fans were so good they would still be in use on todays cars. Make sure they are wired properly and you will have no issues.
They still are. Trucks, Vans, SUVs, not many cars because about 95% of production passengers cars today have horizontal engine layouts.

·
Resetting
1,666 Posts
They still are. Trucks, Vans, SUVs, not many cars because about 95% of production passengers cars today have horizontal engine layouts.
Touche`...I can say from my personal experience that my dual fan an aluminum radiator never allow my temp to rise above 175-180 no matter what type of driving i'm doing.

·
Resetting
1,666 Posts
The way I look at it the 1 HP is not worth removing my engine driven fan
If a electric fan fails to turn on...how can you tell if your driving highway speeds
At highway speed your fan is of no use. The air flowing through your radiator is greater than your clutch fan could ever produce.

·
Addict
1,120 Posts
Stock clutch fan is amazing. unless you plan on spending over 700$ in cooling, you live in Ohio so your temperatures aren't completely bonkers up their so you could go to a nice radiator and flex a lite setup and be fine if you wanted to.. If comes down to.. If you need it or not. Is your Vehicle Overheating? Probably not. Spend it elsewhere or save it for when you need it.

+2 You know that 7m's run hotter than most newer engine's also..

·
Addict
1,120 Posts
lol ^^ unless he swapped a ls7 without us knowing and has a huge radiator.. not a problem.. i love how much room our engine bays have to work in.. and the MK2's

·
Registered
361 Posts
yes in ohio it will probably reach 95 degrees in the summer(but the humidity blows lol)

i know fords and chevy trucks, vans and some suvs are still running the engine driven fan

after 2006(i believe) ford crown vics police cruisers switched to a electric fan
i replace these fans every 2 years due to failure and have to get the heads milled due to overheating everytime

why risk having a electric fan fail, over heat engine, blow headgasket, warp head
in the mean while ill be driving my stock fan setup staying right at 195 city and highway driving(autometer gauge)

not to mention the extra voltage load on battery/alternator charging system(if alt is not upgraded)

if you go electric fans might as well remove stock oil pump and install electric oil pump lol

·
Addict
1,120 Posts
yes in ohio it will probably reach 95 degrees in the summer(but the humidity blows lol)

i know fords and chevy trucks, vans and some suvs are still running the engine driven fan

after 2006(i believe) ford crown vics police cruisers switched to a electric fan
i replace these fans every 2 years due to failure and have to get the heads milled due to overheating everytime

why risk having a electric fan fail, over heat engine, blow headgasket, warp head
in the mean while ill be driving my stock fan setup staying right at 195 city and highway driving(autometer gauge)

not to mention the extra voltage load on battery/alternator charging system(if alt is not upgraded)

if you go electric fans might as well remove stock oil pump and install electric oil pump lol
what do you think dry sump setups are? ;-)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.