Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some suggestions here if anyone can chime in. I have a 1.5JZ in my 1990 that is cooled by a mishimoto radiator and the 2JZGE fan clutch and blade. I was pulling hard in first and smelled coolant, figured my cap had leaked a bit so I drove home. When I slowed down to back in I noticed tons of smoke. Turns out my fan had somehow hit my radiator and took a chunk out of a few of the fins on the very top of the radiator. My clutch seems to be operating properly when cold. Can’t verify operation while running at the moment but I’m assuming it’s a clutch fan problem. Anybody have input for a solution for future problem prevention?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace fan clutch
A bad fan clutch can cause the blades to bend excessively under load? I can actually trace the pattern the blade followed on my radiator, it just cut deeply enough into the top part to make it leak. I’m thinking I’ll have to replace the fan as well, there appears to be a white line where it looks like it’s been bent from contact as well.

·
1,836 Posts
A bad fan clutch can cause the blades to bend excessively under load? I can actually trace the pattern the blade followed on my radiator, it just cut deeply enough into the top part to make it leak. I’m thinking I’ll have to replace the fan as well, there appears to be a white line where it looks like it’s been bent from contact as well.
Yes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And what are your thoughts on the radiator height in relation to the radiator support on the mk3? Mine sits an inch or so above it, is that normal in your experience or are you familiar with this particular setup? Just wondering if the radiator sitting lower would have made a difference on the damage done.

·
1,836 Posts
Id have to see your setup. Do you have photos with close ups of the clearances?

·
1,836 Posts
Which fan flade and fan clutch are you using? Looks like 2jzge to me?

·
1,836 Posts
The 2jzge requires a spacer, so what did you do to get it to clear the water neck?

I'd recommend the 2jzgte fan blade and see if that helps pull the fan blade closer to the engine and away from the radiator.

You could cut the lower rubber radiator mounts if they are similar to the mk4 supra style mounts.

I'm sorry but I'm not to familiar with the mk3 setup. However, lowering the radiator is only a secondary issue. You need to get the fan blade to sit closer to the engine side as that is your primary issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2jzge requires a spacer, so what did you do to get it to clear the water neck?

I'd recommend the 2jzgte fan blade and see if that helps pull the fan blade closer to the engine and away from the radiator.

You could cut the lower rubber radiator mounts if they are similar to the mk4 supra style mounts.

I'm sorry but I'm not to familiar with the mk3 setup. However, lowering the radiator is only a secondary issue. You need to get the fan blade to sit closer to the engine side as that is your primary issue.
I ended up trimming a 1/4” off the engine side of the blades so they wouldn’t contact the radiator hose. Is the overall diameter of the 2JZGTE blade smaller where it doesn’t hit the upper hose when it’s closer to the engine?

·
1,836 Posts
Cicular diameter is the same but the individual blades are thinner and are offset to clear the waterneck.

16361-46060 2jzgte fan blade

If you trimmed the fan blade, then that's why this happend. I've seen this happend to other cars that trimmed the fan blades.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cicular diameter is the same but the individual blades are thinner and are offset to clear the waterneck.

16361-46060 2jzgte fan blade

If you trimmed the fan blade, then that's why this happend. I've seen this happend to other cars that trimmed the fan blades.
Ok, I’ll look into purchasing the fan. Is the fan clutch for the GE ok to use in this application or does it push it too close to the radiator? I wasn’t clear on what you meant earlier by the spacer.

·
1,836 Posts
2jzge and 2jzgte fan clutch are the same.

I haven't been able to find fan clutch that sits closer to the engine that works with a 2jzgte fan blade except the 93-97 gs300 fan clutch that looks like it will sit closer but haven't purchased one to verify fitment.

What I meant by spacer, was that some people place washers where the pulley nuts go instead off trimming the fan blade.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2jzge and 2jzgte fan clutch are the same.

I haven't been able to find fan clutch that sits closer to the engine that works with a 2jzgte fan blade except the 93-97 gs300 fan clutch that looks like it will sit closer but haven't purchased one to verify fitment.

What I meant by spacer, was that some people place washers where the pulley nuts go instead off trimming the fan blade.
Oh, ok. I get that now. That was something I was thinking about trying but obviously went with trimming instead. I’ll report back with the results of the GTE blade. As far as the placement of the height, I believe I will try to get it to sit lower as the blade hit in precisely the worst place it could have because the tip of the blade ended up caught right in the seam between the top of the radiator and the fins. The rest of the damage was just some fins flattened down.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Unfortunately the engine bay of the Mk3 isn't as long as it is on the Mk4 / Z30 Soarer, and when you put a thicker radiator in there... clearances get real tight, real fast. I seem to recall that some have found success running LS400 components in situations like yours, though what specific parts I can't recall. You might be able to find some old posts explaining how they solved the issue.

I have seen this happen once before, in Vegas 2008, on a feller from Canada's car at the track.

Is this for sure a case of the fan blades themselves moving? Could not an engine mount flexing under hard braking cause this as well? They do have just a bit of movement to them, after all... part of the reason I don't mind the solid mounts in my car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately the engine bay of the Mk3 isn't as long as it is on the Mk4 / Z30 Soarer, and when you put a thicker radiator in there... clearances get real tight, real fast. I seem to recall that some have found success running LS400 components in situations like yours, though what specific parts I can't recall. You might be able to find some old posts explaining how they solved the issue.

I have seen this happen once before, in Vegas 2008, on a feller from Canada's car at the track.

Is this for sure a case of the fan blades themselves moving? Could not an engine mount flexing under hard braking cause this as well? They do have just a bit of movement to them, after all... part of the reason I don't mind the solid mounts in my car.
Thanks for the response Brad, I’m not entirely sure where the movement is whether it be the fans flexing or the engine moving forward. What I can be sure of is that this happened when I was pulling hard in first to second so there was no braking involved. That makes me inclined to think it’s a fan issue. That coupled with the tight clearances and the previous commenters mention about failed trimmed blades points me towards a bad fan. That said, I’m considering a 12” HD electric puller fan setup to see if that meets my cooling needs to completely eliminate any chance of this happening again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Search this post about using a Tacoma fan.
JZ MA70 Fan Clutch Experiment
That was an interesting write up. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a potentially viable fix but I think it relies on having a shroud which I unfortunately don’t. That may be the bigger part of my problem to start with. I’ll keep this in mind if my electric fan doesn’t cut it. I really didn’t have the money to buy a new clutch, fan blade, and shroud at the moment so electric was the most economical solution.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I tried electric fans in Kuwait. I ordered a Flex-A-Lite and had it on for maybe 2 days then it came right off and back to a clutch fan. Brought the Flex-A Lite to the USA and ran it on my 72 K5 Blazer in Phoenix AZ for a couple of weeks and decided to go back to a clutch fan because both ran to warm with the Supra really struggling in the summer here. Now the Flex-A-Lite sits on a shelf in my Garage.

I recently had to remove my Koyo aluminum because the intercooler pipe feeding my 1JZ was pushing the shroud enough to cause a pinhole leak on one of the cores so I put the Koyo standard rad on for the moment.

An undercover is good to have and also a swirl pot for the rad to help keep the air out of the cooling system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts