Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i worked a lot on the car this winter and started the car a couple of minutes ago for the first time.

When i put the key to ON, fan doesn't start, but as soon as i started the car, the big one started. Coolant was obviously cold.

I tried looking in the electrical manual but i am confused, everything that is related to the radiator fans seems to be for the small electric fan.

How is the big fan operated? Isn't it a clutch type fan? Is it what they call the A/C fan in the factory shop manual? What makes it starts? What should i look at?

thanks a lot

puma

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, but is it always spinning? I thought it was controlled with a magnetic clutch but can't see a wire coming out of it.

meaning the fan never stop? can't remember since i didn't drive the car much last year.

thanks for any other info

G

·
I think fan stops at speed, once enough airflow is reached the clutch disengages....or something. This is impossible to replcate while car is running parked or on the dyno.

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn big fan is always running... now that is good news... i think at least..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It's not a magnetic clutch like the AC compressor. It's all mechanical on the big fan.

·
Registered
618 Posts
the big fan is always turning when the engine is running. There is a temperature sensitive engagement clutch that, when the air coming through the radiator is warm enough, engages the fan to spin forcefully. When the temperature is not warm enough, the fan will almost 'freewheel' like the spinners on a pimped-out Escalade. I used to have an old Trans Am that i could even stop the fan with my hand while the engine was running, but that is bad for the clutch (dont actually try this though, you may lose a finger or two).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts