Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can stop my radiator fan with my hand. Does this mean I need to replace that cluth on the fan? About how much is the clutch? I may replace with electric fans.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
You're better off with the clutch fan for the sake of simplicity and reliability. Not to mention that any decent electric fans draw a significant amount of amperage. Hit up one of our forum sponsors for a quote on a new Toyota fan clutch.

·
function > form
512 Posts
Your fan clutch is fine. I watched one guy stop a fan on a Hummer with a rag over his hand. You can stop it because it's a viscous coupler. If it were solid, it'd probably shred your hand. You can think of it like a torque converter. You can sit and idle in drive without the car stalling because the fluid pressure is low. Once you raise the revs and get more fluid pressure through there, it locks up.

edit: come to think of it, I believe the locking mechanism is electrically actuated

If you pull out the blue connector from under the thermostat housing and ground it out, the fan clutch fully engages. I found this out when I tugged the wire with my finger and it pulled right out.

·
function > form
512 Posts
There is NO Electrical connection to the Fan Clutch......
Not saying you're wrong, because it does have a fluid coupler, but do you know what turns the fan on full blast when that wire is grounded out? I think someone explained it in a post before, but search isn't an option.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
You can't say I'm wrong because I'm not ;)
(ya really need to trust me on this one)

If you're talking about the E Fans now that's another matter but the OP was asking about the Mechanical Fan Clutch on the water pump.

The Clutch has a bimetallic spring that closes a valve off when hot and opens it when cold allowing slip.

·
function > form
512 Posts
You can't say I'm wrong because I'm not ;)
(ya really need to trust me on this one)
lol, I haven't had doubts about any of your posts. You have a lot of knowledge. So... maybe that wire I mentioned will magnetically charge something when it's grounded out and close the valve...? Hell, maybe there was a wiring problem in my 90 that made this occur.

If I'm still wrong, I'll see if there's a cut away of a fan clutch at school tomorrow. We have TONS of Toyota products, since it's our sponsor.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
LMAO the Bimetal spring is a mechanical thing operated by heat alone ;)
(it's a really simple basic device)

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
lol, I haven't had doubts about any of your posts. You have a lot of knowledge. So... maybe that wire I mentioned will magnetically charge something when it's grounded out and close the valve...? Hell, maybe there was a wiring problem in my 90 that made this occur.

If I'm still wrong, I'll see if there's a cut away of a fan clutch at school tomorrow. We have TONS of Toyota products, since it's our sponsor.
You are still wrong.

You need to learn how to recognize when someone has far more knowledge than you do.

There is absolutely NO electrical connection for the radiator fan. It's ALL MECHANICAL. The wire you grounded is probably the wire for the A/C fans which are on the radiator, but are purely electric.

Ian is 100% correct, there's fluid and a bimetallic strip that applies pressure to the clutch as the car warms up.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
Did Toyota use the hydraulic fans(works off the power steering, iirc) in some of the later mk3's? I see 'em in the early 90's Camry's; just curious....

As far as a standard clutch fan, it is most definitely operated by a spring, kinda like a thermostat.

·
4,627 Posts
Did Toyota use the hydraulic fans(works off the power steering, iirc) in some of the later mk3's? I see 'em in the early 90's Camry's; just curious....

As far as a standard clutch fan, it is most definitely operated by a spring, kinda like a thermostat.
Not 7M's, in the 1JZ supras.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
depends when you tried to grab the fan...

wait until it's warm and try (you'll lose your hand...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts