Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search about this and couldn't find much. I want to raise the rev limiter on my stock ecu to a conservative amount, just to around 7500 or 7700. This will give me a little more edge on the street and enough to keep me from shifting into 5th gear in the 1320.

I don't even think G-force is still around? And I don't feel like sending my ecu to them just to change that and pay $500 dollars or more.

I also don't want to buy a used one because I don't want my timing map messed it. I want to keep my timing map stock and conservative. Sqeezing out a little extra power by changing the timing is not worth the risk to me.

I want to figure out how g-force changes the rev limiter and try to do it myself. I have access to a lot of different resouces...such as a couple circut board geniouses.

Has anyone ever tried this? Or used to work for G-force?

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
If you figure it out and can do an OBD2 car you've got my busine$$

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
The g-force ECU I have (and I think most are like this unless you spec'd the timing change) leaves the timing factory stock and I'd have to change out to another chip to have altered timing. But mine does have increased 8k rev limit, no top speed cut, no fuel cut, and tweeked fuel for higher boost than stock. If you pick up a used gforce and sell your stock ECU, it would only cost you a couple/few hundred bucks to make the swap. Plus the one I bought came with the chip for 7.5k rev limit and altered timing if someone would choose to run that.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
boostedsupratt said:
I did a search about this and couldn't find much. I want to raise the rev limiter on my stock ecu to a conservative amount, just to around 7500 or 7700. This will give me a little more edge on the street and enough to keep me from shifting into 5th gear in the 1320.

I don't even think G-force is still around? And I don't feel like sending my ecu to them just to change that and pay $500 dollars or more.

I also don't want to buy a used one because I don't want my timing map messed it. I want to keep my timing map stock and conservative. Sqeezing out a little extra power by changing the timing is not worth the risk to me.

I want to figure out how g-force changes the rev limiter and try to do it myself. I have access to a lot of different resouces...such as a couple circut board geniouses.

Has anyone ever tried this? Or used to work for G-force?
From what i saw inside the ECU, it uses a eprom chip. I'm sure you could reprogram it if you had the software to edit the file. The only company i can think of that would sell this type of software/equipment would be techtom.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You would think the supra community would have some pretty smart folks that could figure this stuff out. Honda has had hondata for several years now, not to mention the free ones like turboedit, chrome, and uberdata. Where are our ecu geniuses? :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I fought this battle for a while til i sold you my stocker and bought a g-force.The rev is suppose to be 7700 but it has flashed higher before.The fuel maps were changed ALOT and i assume so was timing.
The point is no one can tell whats been done to an ECU so buying 1 is a roll of the dice at best.
I think getting a chip is possible but what it will do and how to monitor short of running it and watching is tough.You can`t look at it on a laptop.
Buick`s,mustangs ,honda`s ,everybody but us can do it.
Apparently Wes will have an AEM for sale soon,lol.

·
Registered
814 Posts
somebody find out how to do this so you can change mine. Just don't wanna raise the limiter too much so you dont start having valve float for those of us with a stock head.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
sngledsupe said:
somebody find out how to do this so you can change mine. Just don't wanna raise the limiter too much so you dont start having valve float for those of us with a stock head.

Been revving to 8000 rpm for a while now. Ask Matt Miller, he'll tell you the same. You'll be fine Jim.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
terry McCamie said:
I fought this battle for a while til i sold you my stocker and bought a g-force.The rev is suppose to be 7700 but it has flashed higher before.The fuel maps were changed ALOT and i assume so was timing.
The point is no one can tell whats been done to an ECU so buying 1 is a roll of the dice at best.
I think getting a chip is possible but what it will do and how to monitor short of running it and watching is tough.You can`t look at it on a laptop.
Buick`s,mustangs ,honda`s ,everybody but us can do it.
Apparently Wes will have an AEM for sale soon,lol.
Yep in a week or two, raised rev limiter works great, spun her up to 8600 today on the street :) PM me Troy and I'll set you up with a sweet deal on the AEM if you want, just waiting for my M820 to come in.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I think most people will say 8k is the limit you wanna run, but i have heard of some go a little higher than that. It kinda sucks that we have no cheap alternatives to rasing just the rev limit, whereas almost every other car has some way of doing it on the cheap. I really dont wanna mess with anything other than rev limiter, but dont think paying at least 550 for it very reasonable.

Alex

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
I want to know why we are the only stinking vehicle out there that has to pay 5-6 bills to raise the rev limiter? LS1s came out and nearly when they did LS1 edit came out and could do everything you need. There are more examples but im to tired to write them out...

·
Registered
993 Posts
x X CLoud X x said:
i agree, paying 5-6 bills just to raise rev limit is bullshit..... hopefully there'll be a cheaper alternative in the near future
agreed....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts